PDA

View Full Version : Whats cookin this weekend (11/17-11/19)

tjus77
11-17-2006, 07:49 AM
My new pit is being delivered on Sat.... woo hooooo. Unfortunately I will be on a trailride till Sun morning. But when I get home, she gets wiped down in cooking oil and seasoned. Probably won't cook until Monday to try a new receipe for Thanksgiving, but I might sneak on some chicken just to test drive... wink

spicewine
11-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Congrats on the new cooker!! Team Q will be cooking 2 Briskets, 2 Butts, some Dino Bones, 2 Family Packs each of Chicken thighs, wings and legs, 2 Hams and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.:grin:

MoKanMeathead
11-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Jay,

Let me know how that Partridge works out for ya - especially with the pear wood.

Fredbird
11-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Jay,

You left out the beef ribs, a couple of fatties and maybe another ham. Do you think we can fill that big smoker?

John

jgh1204
11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Got another buckboard brisket curing, will smoke it Sat or Sun. Got some pork butts too.

big brother smoke
11-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Going Non-Brokeback camping with some friends and we are having beer can chicken tonight and BBs tomorrow night! Food, fishing, drinking and playing with fire for two days.

spicewine
11-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Jay,

Let me know how that Partridge works out for ya - especially with the pear wood.

Ya gotta brine that sucker and beat it with a pear branch!!:wink:

nonthink
11-17-2006, 11:46 AM
A friend I've known for close to 30 yrs. is coming into town and will be introduced to the wonderful world of shmokin'. Gonna do a couple of chickens and as y'all saw in the other thread spiral sausages.

ushi
11-17-2006, 01:43 PM
turkey (practice run), tri tip, and any random sausages I can find.

Steppenwolf
11-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Busy 8 days of cooking coming up, 3 birthdays and Turkey day. Kids get to dictate their b-day party meals, so I'll be grilling teriaki (marinated in sauce, not glaze) chicken this weekend this weekend. 2 family packs legs/thighs plus 2 whole chcken for the few chicken breast levers in the family. This will be a mid day event, with a snack like dinner after in-laws and such are gone. Going to toss in some hot wings to go with the taquitos she wanted (hot wings go with anything in my book).
Qing the turkey will have to wait untl turkey day, I'm afraid- no practice run. Yep, going to do it cold turkey. At the same time, I'll be trying out those famous smoked fatties I read so much about here.

Bigmista
11-17-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm thinking some brisket chili on Saturday night after work. No other plans. Gonna be smoking turkeys next week.

tjus77
11-17-2006, 04:46 PM
WOO HOO, change of plans, the smoker is seasoning as we speak, going to do some chicken tonight and steaks. Tomorrow trailride and auction and Sunday Pork Butt or Shoulder..... feels sooooooo good. The second picture is my old pit in the shadows of the new.....

Steppenwolf
11-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Looks sharp!! You'll enjoy that one for sure.
You're old one looks to be the same as mine new one :-P

Kevin
11-17-2006, 04:56 PM
I've now got a serious case of pit envy. Not that I didn't have one before. Nice looking rig there tjus77. I think I'll cook a beef tenderloin Saturday night, in your honor. Want pics?

Jorge
11-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Now that's livin, and why we are moving south eventually Navasota that is.....building a barn....just so I can paint it orange;)

Jeff_in_KC
11-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Damn you DID upgrade! Congrats! And why are there still leaves on those trees? :confused: :lol:

Fredbird
11-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Good Luck breaking that baby in! Good looking rig, should be fun.

Kevin
11-17-2006, 05:22 PM
WOO HOO, change of plans, the smoker is seasoning as we speak, going to do some chicken tonight and steaks. Tomorrow trailride and auction and Sunday Pork Butt or Shoulder..... feels sooooooo good. The second picture is my old pit in the shadows of the new.....

That reminds me, whatever happened to txpgapro? Didn't he have a lifetyme?

Pig Up & Go
11-17-2006, 05:51 PM
W'ont smoke a thing, cause at the bizness this week we smoked 16 Briskets 24 Butts, 10 Loins and God knows how many gallons of Beans etc. So on weekends for us its a hunt for Seafood and/or Salads / Grilled Steaks..

You all have fun :biggrin::biggrin:

Mrs. Sawdust
11-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Butts and Brisket on Baby Spice.

swamprb
11-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Nice rig!! Happy smokin'!

Ron_L
11-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Nice pit, tjus! Use it in good health!

I'm cooking a 7 lb prime rib tomorrow... Pics to follow.

fivelombardis
11-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Damn you DID upgrade! Congrats! And why are there still leaves on those trees? :confused: :lol:

leaves don't fall off the trees in Texas until January!!!

tumpedover
11-18-2006, 12:13 AM
I've got 80lbs of brisket flats (untrimmed) and 80lbs. pork butt, 25 chickens to be smoked and quartered 16pints of sauce to make and a batch of slap yo mamma beans to be cooked. It ain't a load for the T.L. but I sure do love firin' her up.
It's supposed to be in the 30's on Sunday, pretty cold for an east Texas boy.I'll be firing up the Legend around 10am...meat should go on about 1: 00 pm . She usually takes about 3 hrs to level off...but then cold or hot she's a cookin' !!

Smok'nCW
11-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Going to do a turkey tonight, for a practice run and to feed everyone helping me with my garage. Plus going to do some fatties, abt's and some ama'd eggs, I think. t-77 nice pit, it sure dwarfs the old one.

SmokeInDaEye
11-18-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm going to be looking at John's Legend while eating cold, leftover brisket.:frown:

soulman
11-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Pork Tenderloin, Fatties, ABT's

I took the Jap/Cheddar Fatties and ABT's to a pheasant hunt this morning. Huge success with the crew.

ghostrider
11-18-2006, 08:08 PM
the old one looks lonely u should give it to me

Kevin
11-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Got a little 3 pound beef tenderloin. Think I'll season it conservatively with a coat of Kitchen bouquet, black pepper, garlic, onion and worsey. Cool smoke it (trust me brothers, cool smoking is not a problem in Minnesota in late November) for an hour or so. Let it cool awhile then slice it up, give the steaks a bacon wrap, then grill super hot (dang near touching the coals) eat.

EZ Smoker
11-18-2006, 08:46 PM
That is a great looking new pit, I will not be cooking anything as I am recovering from surgery and will be on a liquid or pureed diet for quite awhile, I hope I will get enough will power to start smokin again soon, it sure will be hard to cook and not eat. You guys keep on Queingggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron_L
11-18-2006, 09:34 PM
I cooked a 7 lb (3 bone) prime rib on my Cookshack today. The Cookshack makes a great prime rib cooker!

I took the roast and cut the meat away from the bones almost ass of the way through. Then I seasoned the roast all over, including the area that would be in contact with the bones, with a paste made from Montreal Steak Seasoning and a little olive oil. Then I put it in the Cookshack with a few spring of rosewary and a small chnunk of alder in the firebox and cooked it at 250 until it was 125 internal (about 2 1/2 hours). Thden I turned the thermostat down to 150 and held the roast in the cooker until just before dinner time (another three hours). As you can see from the pictures, it was a nice medium throughout (a compromise between my wife and me :-D). We served it with some steamed bread dumplings with some Au Jus made from the pan drippings and a healthy salad.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_1480.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_1481.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_1484.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_1483.jpg

tumpedover
11-18-2006, 10:57 PM
dang Ron..... THat's some good lookin' grub. WHat's this about a healthy salad?? Man that stuff'll kill ya. :)
john

thirdeye
11-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Oh yeah Ron, that roast looks great......the Montreal, olive oil & 250 are my favorite combination for a prime rib. Someday I need to find a reason to do a full one. Saw one this afternoon for $122. Full fat cap and ribs still intact. Maybe a business write-off hmmmmmm.

Tonight, Mrs thirdeye and I split a New York, also with Montreal but I used garlic flavored olive oil on this one. I went a tick higher than 250 on this cook. Heheee.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbecue%203/22800752.jpg

tjus77
11-18-2006, 11:31 PM
the old one looks lonely u should give it to me

I was going to, but my wife said I have to give it to her neice's hubby... he wants to learn to cook outdoors sooooo bad.

BrooklynQ
11-18-2006, 11:32 PM
I cooked a 7 lb (3 bone) prime rib on my Cookshack today. The Cookshack makes a great prime rib cooker!

I took the roast and cut the meat away from the bones almost ass of the way through. Then I seasoned the roast all over, including the area that would be in contact with the bones, with a paste made from Montreal Steak Seasoning and a little olive oil. Then I put it in the Cookshack with a few spring of rosewary and a small chnunk of alder in the firebox and cooked it at 250 until it was 125 internal (about 2 1/2 hours). Thden I turned the thermostat down to 150 and held the roast in the cooker until just before dinner time (another three hours). As you can see from the pictures, it was a nice medium throughout (a compromise between my wife and me :-D). We served it with some steamed bread dumplings with some Au Jus made from the pan drippings and a healthy salad.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_1480.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_1481.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_1484.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_1483.jpg

You';re killing me Ron! I was just thinking that I was hungry and look at what I see. Damn. Nothing's going to satisfy now.

Plowboy
11-19-2006, 12:47 AM

You have the BEST food pics, man!

Plowboy
11-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Wife requested a turkey breast for tomorrow. Got a 2.23 lb turkey boob in a sugar/salt brine right now. Bought some Slabs: Kyle Style rub today. Have never used it. Will rub with that, but I'm still trying to figure out what to inject with. I have some Mango and Apricot Jumex around, so I might go with that. Gonna have to do it up quick in the morning before church.

Bought the Peace, Love and BBQ book today. Great read. I made a batch of the Apple BBQ sauce. Pretty tasty.

Ron_L
11-19-2006, 10:26 AM
I mat be too late, Todd, but this injection from Jim Minion (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134121&postcount=4) is great with turkey!

Make sure to use something to catch the drippings. They make a great gravy, too!

tjus77
11-19-2006, 10:35 AM
awesome prime rib pics man..... hope to have some pics of my first pig shoulder on the new pit later.......

Plowboy
11-19-2006, 02:02 PM
I mat be too late, Todd, but this injection from Jim Minion (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134121&postcount=4) is great with turkey!

Make sure to use something to catch the drippings. They make a great gravy, too!

I may be smoking the Thanksgiving bird. I'll keep that one in mind.

Turkey boob turned out great. Wife was very happy. I used a simple injection of butter, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, 3/4 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp white pepper. If I had garlic powder on hand, I would have used that instead of the salt and increased it a bit. Between the brine and the garlic salt in the injection, it had the perfect amount of salt for my taste. I'll post some pics soon.

Robert, I'll add a turkey boob write up to GetYourGrillOn.net.

ghostrider
11-19-2006, 02:22 PM
I was going to, but my wife said I have to give it to her neice's hubby... he wants to learn to cook outdoors sooooo bad.
forget him give it to me i have a pasture and lotsa other pits it can play with what does he have hmm a hibachi?

bbqjoe
11-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Got fourteen turkeys to do tomorrow!!
(Preorder, pick-up mod)

Solidkick
11-19-2006, 03:59 PM
I had a Big Mac this weekend........:oops:

thillin
11-19-2006, 04:03 PM
I had a Big Mac this weekend........:oops:

Isn't the farewell to the McRib?

ghostrider
11-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Isn't the farewell to the McRib?
i miss it :cry:

Kevin
11-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Just a little beef loin. Smoked for an hour @ 250*, 20 minutes in the freezer to firm up, sliced into 2 inch steaks, then grilled over hot coals to 135* internal. I'm full.

BBQ_MAFIA
11-19-2006, 08:37 PM
That has got to be one of the best pictures of all time.

If that doesn't make ya hungry nothing will.

Outstanding Job!!!!

Oh yeah Ron, that roast looks great......the Montreal, olive oil & 250 are my favorite combination for a prime rib. Someday I need to find a reason to do a full one. Saw one this afternoon for $122. Full fat cap and ribs still intact. Maybe a business write-off hmmmmmm.

Tonight, Mrs thirdeye and I split a New York, also with Montreal but I used garlic flavored olive oil on this one. I went a tick higher than 250 on this cook. Heheee.

tjus77
11-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Time for pron...... waiting for the shoulder to rest, but I thought I would tease with the unpulled product.... I am sooooo happy with my pit, even though still getting used to it....... What I've sampled so far is "slap yo momma" good, my wife is drooling too! Pot o beans on the side..... yummmmies

thirdeye
11-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Just a little beef loin. Smoked for an hour @ 250*, 20 minutes in the freezer to firm up, sliced into 2 inch steaks, then grilled over hot coals to 135* internal. I'm full.

Kevin,

That is a neat technique.....What sort of temp was that roast at the end of the hour? And about how long for the grilling? I'm thinking that would work on something like tri-tip too.

Kevin
11-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Kevin,

That is a neat technique.....What sort of temp was that roast at the end of the hour? And about how long for the grilling? I'm thinking that would work on something like tri-tip too.

I didn't check the temp after smoking, should have. I grilled like my usual, as hot as I can get it, minute and a half, turn 45* for grill marks, another minute and a half then flip, another minute and a half turn 45* for grill marks. Total of 4 and a half minutes then insert instant read in the thickest steak and wait for 135* internal. I think it was around 7 or 8 minutes total grilling, but I like them rare.

I used "Spicy" Montreal steak seasoning. I like spicy, but it was a little too much and distracted from the flavor of the beef.

SloppyQ
11-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Sunday Butt Prep with rub and sugar, put on with pit temp at 275 dropped to 240 and stayed there. Turned out great. Hope the pics come out.

Lee (SloppyQ)

Kevin
11-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Looks great Lee. I need to do a butt soon.

jgh1204
11-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Ok, I am a believer in the Chris Lilly Injection. Did two butts along with my buckboard brisket. Best butts I have ever done and I have done some good ones.

I also went a little sweeter than normal for me on the rub. I took Texas BBQ Rub and added more turbinado sugar. I would guess I had 3 cups of rub and added about 1 cup of sugar. Great bark. Great flavor throughout.

Sorry, no pics.

thillin
11-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Ok, I am a believer in the Chris Lilly Injection. Did two butts along with my buckboard brisket. Best butts I have ever done and I have done some good ones.

I also went a little sweeter than normal for me on the rub. I took Texas BBQ Rub and added more turbinado sugar. I would guess I had 3 cups of rub and added about 1 cup of sugar. Great bark. Great flavor throughout.

Sorry, no pics.

Tease!

Yep, the family really like the Chris Lilly Butts here also. I've been tweeking it a little to try to make it my own. But it's an easy go to for pulled pork.

Mark
11-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Saturday:

Smoked 3 boneless chuck roasts on lowest shelf @ 300-350 F.
These were marinated in lotsa Southern Flavor and beer for 2 days. I literally was able to cut it with a butter knife. On the top shelf as a load of raw peanuts marinated in Hoisin sauce. It turned into peanut brittle.

Sunday:
Started out smoke drying my seasons worth of sage and chives and finished in the oven to prevent ashes.

Followed by more peantus on the top (same recipe) and thin pork loin chops on the bottom. Followed by 3 fatties made of home ground butt, lotsa smoked dired peppers and lotsa the sage/chives mixture and some beer (in the sausage).

Plowboy
11-20-2006, 10:22 AM
My turkey boob done up simple: salt/sugar brine, butter/garlic salt/onion powder/white pepper injection, and The Slabs Kyle Style rub. Cooked to 155. It was darn tasty.

chingador
11-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I smoked a pan of shrimp and snapper veracruz. Awesome stuff.

ghostrider
11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
i like smoked butts and i can not lie you other smokers can't deny when u smoke them.... sorry got carried away