PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Sausage

nonthink
11-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Anyone ever do spiral sausage?
If you have I need temps. and time.
I checked the ‘Roadmap’, unless I missed it, there’s nothing there about it.
I’d like to put them on with the two chickens I plan on doing this weekend.

SmokeInDaEye
11-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Anyone ever do spiral sausage?
If you have I need temps. and time.
I checked the ‘Roadmap’, unless I missed it, there’s nothing there about it.
I’d like to put them on with the two chickens I plan on doing this weekend.

Yes over med heat. I never monitor internal temp on sausage but it should read 175-180* when done. These sausage rings are usually pretty thin so I would think 8-10 minutes per side should brown them up nicely.

Also, 1 helpful hint. Soak some wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes or so before your cook. Run two through the entire ring of sausage perpendicularly to create and "X". It creates a flat disc of sausgae that is much easier to move and flip.

thirdeye
11-16-2006, 09:33 AM
nonthink

Time is hard to judge on coils because the casing size changes on almost every one. I cook around 300 degrees typically direct on a raised grate. First it will plump, then it will sweat. This is the time to keep an eye on it, possibly closing down your vents. You want the internal temp to come up with the browning of the casing. If the internal comes up too fast it will either spit or split and you don't want to loose juices that way. When you finally take a temp, sneak the thermometer in from one of the ends, and you will keep juice loss to a minimum.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/dc522a2c.jpg

SmokeInDaEye
11-16-2006, 11:40 AM
That's some nice looking stuffed meat product ya got there, Third Eye!

Here's what the rings you typically find all over the place here in the Northeast look like. Usually much thinner.

thirdeye
11-16-2006, 01:43 PM
That's some nice looking stuffed meat product ya got there, Third Eye!

Here's what the rings you typically find all over the place here in the Northeast look like. Usually much thinner.

Those are some nice lookin' coils. What is the diameter? They look huge. Out west, we make 8" to 10" coils.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/f37de7c1.jpg

Jorge
11-16-2006, 03:33 PM
nonthink

Time is hard to judge on coils because the casing size changes on almost every one. I cook around 300 degrees typically direct on a raised grate. First it will plump, then it will sweat. This is the time to keep an eye on it, possibly closing down your vents. You want the internal temp to come up with the browning of the casing. If the internal comes up too fast it will either spit or split and you don't want to loose juices that way. When you finally take a temp, sneak the thermometer in from one of the ends, and you will keep juice loss to a minimum.

Great point.

The first time I cook a sausage I'm not familiar with I'll poke some holes in the casing just to be safe. I can get a better idea of how much fat is inside by watching the results, and then adjust on the next cook or later in the same cook if I have the time. Sometimes I just want to poke holes anyway to render off some of the fat.

nonthink
11-16-2006, 03:34 PM
These sausage rings are usually pretty thin so I would think 8-10 minutes per side should brown them up nicely.

16-20 minutes in the smoker? that sounds kinda short. I guess I'll put them on after I take the chickens off.

SmokeInDaEye
11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
16-20 minutes in the smoker? that sounds kinda short. I guess I'll put them on after I take the chickens off.

No, that's at a higher heat say 300-350* to crisp up the casing. You'd be fine leaving it on a lower heat for an hour or so.

BrooklynQ
11-16-2006, 07:49 PM
too high a heat and the casings get tuff.

Bill-Chicago
11-16-2006, 08:05 PM
If I recall correctly, Phil did a few "rings" at Bash #?

Used long silver tongs to grab the entire coil, when time to flip.

It was away from the hot spot, 2-3 hours.

Just think like your throwing kielbasa in the oven. You'd do that at 350* for and hour, so at 210* plan on 3 hours.

BrooklynQ
11-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Last bash I brought a few rings out to Mecca. I didn't cook them tho. I think it was Vinnie.

nonthink
11-17-2006, 12:08 AM
ok so i got 1-3 hrs. i guess depending on the thickness. that sounds more like it. Thanks all

CarbonToe
11-17-2006, 02:52 AM
I'll poke some holes in the casing

Thats one thing I never do, I always leave the cases intact to retain the juices.

If I cook spirals I pur them in a fish/veg cage and use that to turn them over rather than push sticks through them.

Jorge
11-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Thats one thing I never do, I always leave the cases intact to retain the juices.

If I cook spirals I pur them in a fish/veg cage and use that to turn them over rather than push sticks through them.

Some of the stuff I get, especially a few of the link sausages, have enough fat in them that I'd rather poke a few holes than have grease pour out all over the plate and bread. I want enough fat to keep the sausage moist, but I don't want a crude oil spill when it's served either. That's why I poke holes the first time I cook a new brand/type/recipe. If I don't need it in the future, it doesn't happen.

Plowboy
11-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Dang, those look good!