PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple Juice Pork Butt

MizzoQ
10-24-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm going to smoke a pork butt in the morning, and injecting with KosmoQ pork injection. Just wondering... anybody ever use Pineapple juice for the base? I forgot to grab apple juice at the store and have to get the pork butt on early, so I'm hoping the pineapple juice is an option. I'm also soaking it in Kosmos's pork brine

bluetang
10-24-2015, 07:21 PM
My vote is no, pineapple contains enzymes that will break down the tissue. Def ok to use to a point, but too long can make mushy meat.

landarc
10-24-2015, 07:22 PM
I have not, but, I will say, that pineapple and pork go very well together normally. It will tend to soften the meat if left to sit for more than a few hours.

Qued Up 2
10-24-2015, 08:01 PM
We did this once in competition scored 75th out of 75. But we have a patent pending for Pork Butt toothpaste!

IamMadMan
10-24-2015, 08:10 PM
fresh pineapple contains an enzyme called "bromelain" which can digest meat and turn it into mush.

The enzyme is deactivated with heat, so if you are using canned pineapple juice it will be fine.

I used it once, but wasn't real happy with the taste, but one of my sons liked it, so it will probably be a matter of taste for you.

Keep us posted with your results..

smokingkettle
10-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Pork and pineapple go well together, but they need to be cooked separately and then combined at the very last second. An injection of pineapple will ruin your pork. The advice given in this thread is accurate. I cooked swineapple twice. The second time was a little more successful because I baked the pineapple in high heat for a half an hour before I combined it with the pork. It still wasn't "amazing" in the end.

MizzoQ
10-25-2015, 05:02 AM
Thanks guys! I'm going to run to the store and get some apple juice, or peach nectar if they have it. I'll marinate my liver with pineapple juice and vodka instead.

dport7
10-25-2015, 06:11 AM
Yep, when do inject pork, which I don't do much of anymore," i like the smoke and real meat taste better" I would always use apple juice.