PDA

View Full Version : Question, The Dog Ate All the Trimmed Fat:

BBQ_MAFIA
10-18-2015, 11:31 AM
I bought a 17+Pound Brisket from Rest Depot yesterday and found it was loaded with far more fat than i anticipated. I trimmed the brisket disposed of the fat in the garbage can and finished prepping the brisket for its time on the cooker. I went out and put the brisket on the cooker and came back into the house to find the dog pushed over the garbage can and ate all of the fat. Needless to say he vomited a few times and I'm sure he will be sick the rest of the day.

This has never happened before and I'm concerned about our dog.
Should I just wait this out or do something else. He ate all the fat that you see on the attached photo. Rocco is a very large English Mastiff but I have never seen him sick like this.

Any advise is welcome.

cheez59
10-18-2015, 11:45 AM
I had a 120 pound Rottweiler that ate that much fat one time and to my knowledge she never batted an eye. She was an outside dog so if she got sick she went out in the woods.

I would keep an eye on the dog. If it became lethargic you might want to have it checked out. If it acted normal it is probably ok. Dogs in my experience can handle way more than any human.

SmittyJonz
10-18-2015, 11:47 AM
I'd think he'll have the squirts but not in danger.? I had a Boxer who would eat and pass kitchen rags........but then if the hard fats won't breakdown/digest he could have issue passing it which could be bad.

code3rrt
10-18-2015, 11:54 AM
^ I'm with them, Probably going to be fine, just keep a close eye or a while :-D.

KC

Doog
10-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Sorry about the dog eating all the fat. Thinking it should be ok...maybe just miserable today.
Next time you should probably just cook it all for him/her :wink:

16Adams
10-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Different breeds handle animal fats and bones differently. I had a Golden that would chew a Deers leg for hours till her gums bled and loved it//and then wanted her gums rubbed. I had a Cocker Spaniel that one French fry would give it pancreatitis for three days. Expensive canned corn diet for a while. Our current vet a big believer that if dog has upset stomach. No food for 24 hours till her system clears. if YOU are concerned drop a dime and see what your vet recommends.

Bludawg
10-18-2015, 12:27 PM
Dogs are meat eaters but modern convince of factory foods containing grains as the main ingredient changes their digestive system. This was just a shock to the system that isn't used to raw protein. If I had to guess you probably feed dry food as a regular diet. My only concern would be what else was in the can that he could have ingested during the frenzy.

DetTigersFan
10-18-2015, 01:40 PM
My only concern would be what else was in the can that he could have ingested during the frenzy.

Blu is right... This is what I would be most concerned with as well.

BBQ_MAFIA
10-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys. Rocco seems to be OK now still a little sluggish but it was a ton of fat that ended up eating. Luckly to there wasn't anything else in the garbage can but that for the call out Bludawg.

Rocco is big and weighs in the range of 190 to 200 pounds but he gets treated like a baby and if he got real sick Mrs MAFIA would kill me.

Thanks again for the feed back.

sylntghost
10-18-2015, 02:24 PM
My dachshund ate a whole whopper with all the fixings. He was sick a few days before we took him to the vet. He almost crapped himself to death. That burger cost us 300 bucks worth of vet bills.that little chit.:doh:

Doog
10-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Glad he is doing ok! Just watch walking in the yard cause he will probably be dropping some major heat.

Rusty Kettle
10-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Stuff happens. Keep an eye on him and give him water. Call the vet as most guys on a bbq forum are not exactly dog experts. If it were me I would want an opinion of a vet. My dog ate something once and they had to give him shots to stop him from getting sick. It was horrific but he survived thanks to the vet. It was a couple hundred bucks down the tubes but my dog was ok and that was what was important.

It doesn't hurt to call and if they want to check him over take him in. Better to be safe and out a few bucks then to be sorry later.
Probably he is fine I would wager but always better to check and be certain.

Deebo
10-18-2015, 06:13 PM
My Jack Russell/Border Collie mix ate a foot long Cousins ham and turkey sub. He had the bubble guts for a day and was fine the next. That big ass mastiff should handle that like a champ. He'll be fine.

Q Junkie
10-18-2015, 07:05 PM
The dog will probably be fine but I'm sick just seeing all of the fat you had to trim off of a brisket. :puke:

krex1010
10-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Dogs are tough, I had a beagle that constantly ate stuff that had me freaked out, a whole bag of Hershey Kisses (including the foil wrappers), chicken carcasses, even a set of rosary beads (talk about holy ****) he always bounced back. Would have loved to see the look on that dogs face as he wolfed down all that fat lol he may be hurting now but I bet he totally thinks it was worth it.

pmad
10-18-2015, 08:33 PM
IN the future, render all that fat into tallow.

JonP
10-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Steamed Rice and boiled chicken no seasonings next few days. bland diet no seasonings and your pooch will be fine

J-Rod
10-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Late to this but good on ya for being so concerned for your pup. I agree with others that hell prolly be fine, but keep an eye just to be safe. I know I used to worry about my boy too when he ate somethin...Man I miss that big handsome dog...

Is he a mastiff? Post a pic of the big fella!

defence18
10-18-2015, 09:03 PM
I'm late as well. My wife is a small animal vet and suggests that he fast, just drinking water. If he doesn't vomit anymore, you can try some boiled chicken and rice for breakfast. If he keeps that down, he should be ok. If he continues vomiting or has bloody diarrhea, he may have developed pancreatitis and you should see your vet. Good luck!

BBQchef33
10-18-2015, 09:57 PM
you have to watch for pancreatitis..my bull mastif went thru it when he drank the drippings from the backyard chef. It happens when the pancreas is overworked trying to digest fats.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_multi_pancreatitis

Gnarlbecue
10-18-2015, 10:00 PM
I had a 75 pound Golden Retriever that ate maybe 10 pounds of pork fat trimmings one time.

She got so fat and bloated that we had to carry her outside for a couple weeks, but she was fine otherwise.

Just keep an eye on your pup, and maybe call a vet for advice.

Doug Crann
10-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Years ago went to help a co-worker rearrange her house some. Chris, a 135 pound Rottweiler, was one of the most mellowest pups I have ever seen. Lisa had bought a double pizza from this place. Was 2 complete loaded pies put together. Thing weighed at least 10 pounds. I forgot to bring the beer. We put the pizza, still in the box, on top of the fridge. We got back, there was a chair up against the counter. Pizza box, empty, on the floor. Chris was up on the,sofa, on his back, sound asleep. He still wanted his food a couple hours later....