PDA

View Full Version : Brisket questions

Jimbo1972
10-14-2015, 06:06 PM
I have two brisket questions:

1st is about grades. I bought a packer select grade brisket (because thats all I could find) and when I got a good look at it out of the package I was amazed how good it looked. Lots of marbling and the flat bends nicely. How much does grade reflect the quailty of a brisket?

2nd question is I am smoking this brisket tonight to eat on Saturday night. I Plan on chilling it and warming it up for our annual opening of deer season banquet. Has anone done this and how did it turn out?

cpw
10-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Grade is usually a good indicator, but it doesn't necessarily mean you won't get a well marbled select brisket. In general I can't find anything but select Briskets here so I make do.

As far as cooking in advance, make sure to keep it whole and try to package it with some of the drippings or au jus. If you can vac seal it, that's even better. It won't be as good as hot off the pit but it should still be pretty tasty.

Ron_L
10-14-2015, 06:34 PM
1. The carcass is graded based on a sample taken from the ribeye primal, along with a few other things, so it is possible for a select carcass to have a better brisket than a prime carcass. I always look at the marbling, flexibility, thickness of the flat, shape of the flat, etc. before looking at the grade.

2. No way to cook it on Saturday? You can hold it in a cooler wrapped in towels for hours. If not, how do you plan on reheating it?

Jimbo1972
10-14-2015, 06:47 PM

2. No way to cook it on Saturday? You can hold it in a cooler wrapped in towels for hours. If not, how do you plan on reheating it?

I will be hunting and will not have time to do anything but warm it up.

Bludawg
10-14-2015, 07:14 PM
Let the brisket cool to 150( keep it whole) then wrap it in plastic wrap the foil. To reheat set the oven to as low as it will go (typically 170-180) put the brisket in all wrapped up and let it reheat while you blow bambies brains out. Good luck in the woods and with the brisket and don't paint no horns on your objective lens.

Jimbo1972
10-14-2015, 08:52 PM
Let the brisket cool to 150( keep it whole) then wrap it in plastic wrap the foil. To reheat set the oven to as low as it will go (typically 170-180) put the brisket in all wrapped up and let it reheat while you blow bambies brains out. Good luck in the woods and with the brisket and don't paint no horns on your objective lens.

Good stuff! Thanks bludawg :clap2:

Jimbo1972
10-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys. I put the brisket on the smoker wrapped in foil and in a pan at 200 for 2 hours. Turned out great. Sorry no pics because the crowd ate it as soon as it was sliced.