PDA

View Full Version : New propane smoker givin me some issue with thin blue

LT72884
10-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Ok, so i have a new gas smoker and im not getting any thin blue from it. It lasts aboput 5 minutes then it goes all white and brown. So i check my smoker box and there are flames shooting out the holes!!! its driving me crazy. It happens with chunks and pellets. My fire box sits about 2-3 inches above the flame..

Here is a pic of my smoker flame kit and the smoker itself

https://gassmoker.com/mini-v/mini_v_lits.jpg

https://gassmoker.com/Woodpile/brinkm3.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG7074_zpsfza5ywrq.jpg

https://gassmoker.com/Woodpile/brinkm4.jpg

you can see the nozzle sticking out. Its a fantastic product but i am having a hard time getting thin blue. Its highest range is 14,000BTU but can go way low for fish and jerky. As you can see, the pellets just catch fire. i have them sitting on the beer can chicken holder and as i mentuioned earlier, they shoot flames out the lid. the pic shows them uncovered. thansk for the help.

landarc
10-14-2015, 02:44 PM
I do not understand why you refuse to just use charcoal. These are not great smokers, however, I think you should reconsider using pellets, as this smoker was originally designed for use with soaked wood chips, and with a water pan. Also, is that the original smoke chip pan? The ones I have seen came with a round chip pan.

mjpmap
10-14-2015, 02:52 PM
I have to agree with Landarc on the pellets. Stick with water soaked wood chips, or even sawdust. I used to have a unit similiar to yours, and they cook great. The smoke you get in the beginning is enough to give it the flavor you're looking for. I do think that using the water pan is a must though.

LT72884
10-14-2015, 02:58 PM
I do not understand why you refuse to just use charcoal. These are not great smokers, however, I think you should reconsider using pellets, as this smoker was originally designed for use with soaked wood chips, and with a water pan. Also, is that the original smoke chip pan? The ones I have seen came with a round chip pan.

i dont refuse to use charcoal. i have a UDS i use all the time. I love charcoal and nothing compares.I got the conversion kit from https://gassmoker.com/v-burner.htm. I bought it for small items that can be done with in an hour or two when in a time pinch so i do not have to preheat the UDS for 45 minutes, wait for the coal to light and then place the food on. This is pretty quick at heating up:)

For example i smoked some chicken kebobs on it with out any wood chips and they were done in about 1.5 hours at 250*. temp control is way nice.

BUT the main reason i have it... why not. its fun and fun to have a new toy..

I REPEAT AND I REPEAT AGAIN HAHA I do not refuse to use charcoal at all. that is my favorite way to cook. i use the UDS all the time. I just cooked 4 butts for a catering event i did. :)

It did not come with a chip box at all. Since the green brinkman was origanally a charcoal smoker and it was crapy at that, hence why i made the uds, haha. So this is just a general chip box.

Bludawg
10-14-2015, 03:00 PM
AND I DISAGEE with EVERYONE:mrgreen: Get an 8 or a 10" CI skillet and put 1 chunk of dry wood in it. If there is a Flame there is TBS. Once the wood catches turn down the gas. Once it stops smoking add another when it quits Then turn up the gas to maintan the temp.

LT72884
10-14-2015, 03:06 PM
AND I DISAGEE with EVERYONE:mrgreen: Get an 8 or a 10" CI skillet and put 1 chunk of dry wood in it. If there is a Flame there is TBS. Once the wood catches turn down the gas. Once it stops smoking add another when it quits Then turn up the gas to maintan the temp.

ill give it a try haha. ill report back haha. should pan be above flame like on the beer can holder?

thansk

qman
10-14-2015, 03:48 PM
What bludawg said. Cast iron pan and wood chunks work great. If you need to use pellets, try sealing them up good in heavy duty aluminum foil pouch, punching ONE OR TWO SMALL HOLES in one side, putting the pouch in the chip pan and running the flame high till you start to see smoke, then reduce flame, repeat as necessary. Make sure the pellets are packed fairly tightly in the pouch.

Fwismoker
10-14-2015, 04:06 PM
I don't know where to start with this one..... hmmmm. Also I disagree with everyone.

With regards to the UDS. It's taking you 45 minutes to go from lighting to putting food on? .....what the heck? It should never take you that long to get the drum going, mine was just used 2 days ago and it was up and running in less than 10 minutes with TBS and the food was on. There are ways i'd suggest to get cooking quicker but that's another topic.

You really should have built something like a mini wsm for small meals but that's neither here nor there.

The reason the pellets/chunks etc... are flaming is because they are getting too much oxygen. Heat + Oxygen + Fuel = Fire. Cut back on the oxygen and that will help big time. If you can cut down on the O2 , one thing you'll notice is you'll basically be producing lump charcoal in your chip container. Those cookers are just not designed well so there isn't a perfect solution unfortunately.

A CI pan isn't a bad solution but I'd still put try something like foil over it and poke some small holes to let the gasses and smoke out...Yes use chunks

With regards to soaking wood chips, the fool that started that nonsense well.... ugh. Wood will just steam off until combustion can start so it's worthless to soak.

Personally I'd sell that cooker and go the mini route.

Woody Butthrie
10-14-2015, 04:10 PM

+1 for chunks of dry wood.

LT72884
10-14-2015, 05:34 PM
I do have a mini wsm i built and it works great but same time to setup as uds.

It takes 45 min because i start my charcoal in a chimney and i timed it last time. it took 20 min to have weber chimney with about 25-30 briqs be ready then 20-25 for uds to be at temp.

But ill try the cast iron method:)

Thanks

Fwismoker
10-14-2015, 05:44 PM
I do have a mini wsm i built and it works great but same time to setup as uds.

It takes 45 min because i start my charcoal in a chimney and i timed it last time. it took 20 min to have weber chimney with about 25-30 briqs be ready then 20-25 for uds to be at temp.

But ill try the cast iron method:)

Thanks

I'll give you some tips to be up an running in less than 10 minutes if you're open to changing your ways. ...and that is using a chimney.

Mini's are the best, you can be cooking in 5 minutes with that, TBS from the get go

jjjonz
10-14-2015, 08:32 PM
I'll give you some tips to be up an running in less than 10 minutes if you're open to changing your ways. ...and that is using a chimney.

Mini's are the best, you can be cooking in 5 minutes with that, TBS from the get go

I expect a lot of us would like to get up and running in 10 minutes. The mini is my go to smoker, but I have never been able to get started that fast..I'd appreciate the tip.thanks

LT72884
10-14-2015, 09:49 PM
I would love the tips. Pm me them if you can.

Fwismoker
10-14-2015, 11:03 PM
I would love the tips. Pm me them if you can.

I expect a lot of us would like to get up and running in 10 minutes. The mini is my go to smoker, but I have never been able to get started that fast..I'd appreciate the tip.thanks Since Jj mentioned it too I figured i'd just post it vs pm

It just comes down to you you set up the fire in your basket, partial burnt charcoal and wood chunks are very useful.

If you start with all new the secret is not having the lit scattered around unlit coals or in contact with too much unlit or you have to wait for all the unlit too heat up and the smoke to thin out.. That's what most people end up doing IMO.

Starting with partial burnt coals and wood chunks for me is the most common and I get TBS in less than 10 minutes every time. I like the side the side burn. Using all new coals if I light a 1/4 or 1/3 chimney It's just about putting them next to the unlit, this might take 10-15 min for really thin smoke.

1)After a burn

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Mini%20WSM/P1010983_zps6fe9ba87.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Mini%20WSM/P1010983_zps6fe9ba87.jpg.html)

2) Shake out ash and shift the charcoal most burnt to least burnt

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Mini%20WSM/P1010984_zps10efeb2f.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Mini%20WSM/P1010984_zps10efeb2f.jpg.html)

3) Add new coals/wood chunks and light the partial burnt stuff. By lighting only the partial burnt the volatile stuff has already been burnt away so you get TBS virtually right away. You might not be up to cooking temp yet but you can still put your meat on while it's coming up to temp because you have no bad smoke.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/Mini%20WSM/P1010985_zps32262234.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/Mini%20WSM/P1010985_zps32262234.jpg.html)

chuMP
10-15-2015, 06:47 AM
fwismoker's got the right idea. I always use partially burnt charcoal in a chimney to start my kamado. I put brand new lump charcoal at the bottom of the coal pile, partially burnt coal above that, and lit coal on top. I see TBS pretty quickly. After closing the lid... maybe 10-15 minutes from lighting the chimney to putting food on. The trick with the kamado is nailing the target temp on the initial warm up and stabilizing there.

PappaOscar
10-15-2015, 07:45 AM
The trick with the kamado is nailing the target temp on the initial warm up and stabilizing there.[/QUOTE]
Gotta agree on this statement. On my ceramic I sneak on my target temp, because if you blow through it, it takes a few minutes for it to go down.

Tom Sellecks Mustache
10-15-2015, 09:50 AM

QFT, first thing I did was sacrifice an old CI skillet in my propane smoker instead of using the wood tray it came with. I let the smoker heat up for about 15 minutes or so, toss a few chunks in the skillet and it's ready to go. Doesn't get much easier

LT72884
10-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the tips on lighting the uds. Now are you getting tbs with new wood chunks that fast or are you just using the old charred wood chunks? I have tossed my wood chunks into my chimney to start them burning so when they go in the uds, they are ready to go and produce tbs. Usually i do not have any pre burned material after a cook because i use it all up.

Thanks for the cast iron idea and foil pouch with one hole idea because anymore than that, the gasses catch fire and i gots me a problem haha

Fwismoker
10-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the tips on lighting the uds. Now are you getting tbs with new wood chunks that fast or are you just using the old charred wood chunks? I have tossed my wood chunks into my chimney to start them burning so when they go in the uds, they are ready to go and produce tbs. Usually i do not have any pre burned material after a cook because i use it all up.

Shut down tight and you'll more times than not have left over.

With new it still will get thin smoke pretty quick if you don't dump the hot coals all over the unlit stuff,the unlit needs time to heat up first before combustion.

With all new i'll put a couple small chunks or sticks in the void where i'm going to pour my 1/3 chimney of lit. The last time i did a long cook it was up and running in 10 minutes and i was up and cooking temp over 400*. That wasn't in my UDS but my jumbo mini (jimmy) because that gets hot quick with air coming up at the coals from the bottom and the sides.

Just always start with a small hot isolated fire and open up all the vents you have....Let it come up to temp from there and then dial back.

jjjonz
10-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Well I'll just be dog the old man has learned something new today. Thats why I love this forum , at 72 I'm still learning. I always reuse old coals, but never lit them, always put new lit coals on top or bottm and wait for the tbs . I can see how to get it so quick now.Thanks Fwismoker

THoey1963
10-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Me too JJ, I always lit the new and let it catch the old on fire...

Thanks for the tip!

Drkman47
10-15-2015, 12:29 PM
Thanks from me also, this it the reason I read straight through. You never know what new things you will learn, you just know you will learn something!