PDA

View Full Version : Looking to track WSM temps over night

vraknari
10-13-2015, 09:49 PM
Looking to track overnight temps on my 22.5 WSM. What's the cheapest/lowest price, I'd have to invest?

I'm not looking to maintain temps, so a fan isn't necessary [and hopefully will keep the price reasonable].

Doesn't matter if wired or wireless.

Thanks!

Petee_c
10-13-2015, 09:53 PM
There might be camera apps for your smartphone or ipod/tablet that do time lapse photography,

Set it up to take a pic of the thermometer on your smoker at 10 or 15 minute intervals?

Might be free?

vraknari
10-13-2015, 10:01 PM
I'd like to rely on something a little bit more accurate than the included thermometer on the lid.

And while I could use your suggestion with my Maverick, I know there has to be units out there that can do it more reliably, and send the data to my pc so I can pore over it the next day.

pjtexas1
10-13-2015, 10:07 PM
Heatermeter can do this. Not sure about the exact cost but you can build it yourself. I had a brethren build mine.

Bebe
10-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Tappacue gives you graph.. (http://www.tappecue.com/)
ain't cheap though..

grantw
10-13-2015, 10:14 PM
I have bought a few gadgets for this myself and the maverick is the best, you can still buy the older models on eBay cheap, but the range is not as good as the new one. Be careful with the probes on it though they are cheap, I have had mine for at least 5 years and not burnt one probe, I use that tin foil tape where the wire goes into the probe and that's been my saviour.

Fwismoker
10-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Curious as why to track?

Trailer Trash
10-13-2015, 11:23 PM
idevice;

I have the "Kitchen model at $65 (2 probes).
I believe the igrill would do the same @ $32 (1 probe) for just heat. Blue tooth to your iPad or iPhone. Will show you a graph of your entire cook time and down load in excel or print graph.

Amazon.com: Idevice@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T--QBrwkL.@@AMEPARAM@@41T--QBrwkL

BigBobBQ
10-14-2015, 01:35 AM
another vote for the heatermeter, it uses wireless and you connect to it from a computer and it records and graphs everything.

steinyboys
10-14-2015, 02:13 AM
Yes the I grill2 with phone app will graph your cook all night

yakdung
10-14-2015, 05:24 AM
Igrill2 = 4 probes

vraknari
10-14-2015, 08:35 AM
idevice;
I have the "Kitchen model at $65 (2 probes).
I believe the igrill would do the same @ $32 (1 probe) for just heat. Blue tooth to your iPad or iPhone. Will show you a graph of your entire cook time and down load in excel or print graph.

Heatermeter can do this. Not sure about the exact cost but you can build it yourself. I had a brethren build mine.

Tappacue gives you graph.. (http://www.tappecue.com/)
ain't cheap though..

Looks like the iGrill mini would suit my needs at an excellent price point, if only the techie inside of me wasn't drawn to the Heatmeter and Tappacue though...

Curious as why to track?

My rationale goes something like this -
By knowing how long temps remain constant before tapering off, I can adjust amount of fuel used at the start, bottom vent openings, water pan/no water pan, water pan with water/sand/terra cotta planter - mainly adjust other things to keep the desired smoking temp for as long as possible. I'd like to be able to do this without the use of a fan for no other reason than, just because. In NY, it may not be possible to do that on a WSM from Dec - Feb, a fan may be a necessity for all I know.

Please note, I didn't say my rationale makes a whole lot of sense, but to me, it kind of, sort of, does. :crazy:

Petee_c
10-14-2015, 09:08 AM
I just bought a Maverick 733 on amazon Canada. The igrill app was getting bad reviews for bt connectivity on the app store.

I wanted the range and alarms to go from the smoker to my bedroom for overnight cooks.

Bebe
10-14-2015, 11:15 AM
In NY, it may not be possible to do that on a WSM from Dec - Feb, a fan may be a necessity for all I know.

Please note, I didn't say my rationale makes a whole lot of sense, but to me, it kind of, sort of, does. :crazy:
ir does make sense... in the winter i always use the guru, i don't wanna freeze MY butt, just cook the other butt.