PDA

View Full Version : Looking into a Humphrey pint

shootitnsmokeit
10-13-2015, 07:47 PM
I currently have a yoder ys640 pellet smoker and looking to get something different. I really like the yoder except for the lack of smoke flavor (i have a amazen smoke tube in it as well). I have been doing research and think I have it narrowed down to a Humphrey pint. I have never used a Humphrey or eaten food from one so I m looking for input on smoke flavor you get from them. I just don't want to spend the money if the smoke flavor isn't going to be any better than the yoder.

PatAttack
10-13-2015, 07:49 PM
This feller, Kevin, will answer all your questions:

http://www.northeastprofessionalbbq.com/

When I buy a cabinet smoker, it will be a Humphrey's.

shtrbc
10-13-2015, 08:46 PM
I have been cooking on a Humphrey's Pint and 1/2 Pint for just about a year now. Previous experience has been weber kettles, brinkman offset, UDS's, and my homebuilt 250 gallon reverse flow stickburner. Got into the Humphrey's because we wanted to start doing a few competitions and I wanted something between the size of a UDS and the big stickburner. The stickburner has always been the cooker I judge all others against. Can honestly say that the Humphrey's is every bit as good as the stickburners I have cooked on. Have experimented with water in the pan, no water in the pan. That I think is a matter of personal preference more in regard to bark. The flavor is always great on the Humphrey's. Primarily use lump and smaller oak or hickory chunks in the fire basket. I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Humphrey's again. Chad and Nichole are great people to deal with and they build a heck of a great smoker!! Do it, you won't be disappointed.

IamMadMan
10-13-2015, 09:35 PM
I have never used a yoder...

I reviewed and checked out smokers for a year until I found the one that fit my needs, (but not everyone has the same needs). I purchased a Humphreys DownEast Beast.

But as far as using a Humphrey's, I get great smoke flavor, and it is so well insulated that an eight pound bag of lump charcoal will give me a 12 - 14 cook time.

The quality is top notch, and I love it just as much today as the day it arrived.

BBQLuver
10-13-2015, 10:32 PM
I also went through a ton of research for about 6 months and eventually settled on the Humphreys Pint. I did make the decision site unseen. I spoke with Kevin at NorthEast Pro BBQ, give him a call, very responsive. He answered all my questions about the Humphreys and even other smokers. We went over what I was looking for and he recommended the Pint as well (said the Battlebox I might feel a little cramped from time to time and the Down East Beast was more than I needed). I should be getting it in a few weeks. I've heard nothing but amazing things about them and couldn't find any negative comments. I unfortunately haven't smoked on a pellet smoker, so can't speak much to that.

mnbadger
10-14-2015, 06:57 AM
I've been going back and forth between a cabinet smoker and an offset smoker for about a year now. I'm about 80% set on a cabinet and narrowed my options down to the 270 smokers standard and the Humphreys Pint. I was leaning toward the pint for a while until I stumbled across the 270. They have my business if I decide to go the cabinet route. Check them out if you haven't before you make a decision. All the information I've been able to find on them is positive.

pigville porkers
10-14-2015, 09:08 AM
I love my Battle Box, its the best tasting q I have made.

SmittyJonz
10-14-2015, 10:22 AM
http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u645/bobjones79/A81709B1-2A5B-4D65-B7AF-FEB14436C46F_zpswvpavnkk.png (http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bobjones79/media/A81709B1-2A5B-4D65-B7AF-FEB14436C46F_zpswvpavnkk.png.html)

SmittyJonz
10-14-2015, 10:23 AM
I've been going back and forth between a cabinet smoker and an offset smoker for about a year now. I'm about 80% set on a cabinet and narrowed my options down to the 270 smokers standard and the Humphreys Pint. I was leaning toward the pint for a while until I stumbled across the 270. They have my business if I decide to go the cabinet route. Check them out if you haven't before you make a decision. All the information I've been able to find on them is positive.

Get Both a cabinet and an offset.

SmokinBuddha
10-14-2015, 11:22 AM
I love my Humphrey Qube'd Pint Plus

smokinit
10-14-2015, 12:56 PM
I am here ask away

shootitnsmokeit
10-14-2015, 03:35 PM
After all the research and comments about the Humphrey the only concern i have is the smoke flavor/profile. Like i said i have a pellet smoker now and don't want to spend the money and not have a substantial improvement on smoke flavor.

Smokedawg86
10-14-2015, 03:44 PM
I don't think you'll have problem with the smoke flavor. You control the chunks and it's actual wood burning and not the compressed wood that you would use with that pellet smoker. You can get more than enough smoke. I have never heard anyone complain about lack of smoke in their cabinet. And believe me, if there was a smoke issue, there would not be so many people above telling you to get that Humphrey's. I think you will not be disappointed.

smokinit
10-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Smoke flavor will never be an issue on these

shootitnsmokeit
10-14-2015, 03:53 PM
I here you i guess i just needed someone to come out and say it. Right now the plan is to go get one on Saturday.

shootitnsmokeit
10-14-2015, 04:18 PM
So now the question is Pint vs DownEast Beast? Is the additional 6" really worth it?

PatAttack
10-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Really depends on what you're using it for.

Everyone always says go bigger!

Smokedawg86
10-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Yeah you're going to get a lot of guys saying go bigger than you think you need. Personally, when I pull the trigger on a Lonestar vertical insulated cabinet, I will sit down and really think about what my uses will be. It's pointless to have a giant pit if you only fill it up once every 7 years. With that said, I agree with PatAttack. Only you know how and what you will likely be using it for.

jjjonz
10-14-2015, 08:42 PM

I really like that smoker....looks like a good price also. Checked it out on utube.

Sallenthornton
10-14-2015, 11:43 PM
My philosophy is to buy one step larger than you need. In my case the Humphreys battlebox would have been perfect, but I purchased the Pint instead. I figured it would be the better long term purchase for me; its more smoker than I will ever need.

GreenDrake
10-15-2015, 06:47 AM
I have had my Humphreys Pint for a couple weeks now, absolutely love it. I am a clean freak when it comes to pits, so I keep mine pristine. It is superior craftsmanship and absolutely a dream to clean up and maintain. The one thing I still have to evaluate is lump or briquette. I have only run briquette in mine so far with outstanding results.

Ackman
10-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Well I have had my battle box for two years come December and the pint for just a bit more than a year now. I use lump and fist sized chunks of my preferred woods and get great smoke flavor. They are a pleasure to cook on and built like a tank. My BWS extended party is abut the equiv of the battle box, the battle box weighs over 300 pounds, the BWS about 180. Chad and Nicole are great people and will work with you to get exactly what bells and whistles you want

shootitnsmokeit
10-15-2015, 02:37 PM
Thank you all for your input im going to wait and make the final decision on size once i see them in person Saturday.

Boston Smoker
10-15-2015, 03:30 PM
I went with the Down-East Beast because I worried that I'd be giving up too much space with the slide out water pan in the Pint. Not sure whether I'll ever fill it, but it's nice to have the extra room if I need it. Have you thought about what extras you may want to get? The drop down SS side counter really comes in handy. Also, I didn't think I would need it at first, but the removable basting/drip tray is a nice addition. I get that thing plenty messy each smoke. Also consider the larger casters if you're going to be moving it across uneven surfaces or lawn.

Chemixtry
10-16-2015, 05:29 PM
I have a WSM but I wanted greater capacity and better temp control when it gets colder out. I was torn between the battlebox and pint but ultimately went with the pint for the extra capacity. Kevin is super helpful and will answer all your questions. I cant wait for it to arrive!

shootitnsmokeit
10-16-2015, 09:49 PM
T minus 8 hours and I'm on my way to get either the beast or the pint!

Sallenthornton
10-17-2015, 12:37 AM
I envy you. My Pint is being built. I am at week 5 and the wait is killing me. Keep us updated.

shootitnsmokeit
10-25-2015, 02:41 PM
So I ended up getting the beast, I did a corned beef yesterday. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for reassuring me the smoke profile/flavor would be good. I'm very happy so far, I also bought the pitmasteriq I need to figure it out but I think it's going to be a nice tool to have. I completely forgot to take pics but I'll get some next go round for sure.

Sallenthornton
10-25-2015, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the update. I am sure that you will be very happy with your choice. Although... I am jealous. :) You have yours and I'm still waiting for mine to be built and delivered. I am heading into week 6, so my wait shouldn't be too much longer.

Congrats! Do you have any pictures? How was the smoke flavor? Did it burn a lot of fuel? Was there any issues with maintaining temperature? Sorry for all the questions, but I enjoy reading about smokers and people experience with them. Thanks!

shootitnsmokeit
10-25-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't have any right now was so excited about using I didn't take any.

Smokedawg86
10-25-2015, 05:07 PM
Congrats. I'm sure you will have countless cooks. That's an awesome cooker, keep putting that thing to work!

Stlbbqstore
10-25-2015, 05:47 PM
So I ended up getting the beast, I did a corned beef yesterday. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for reassuring me the smoke profile/flavor would be good. I'm very happy so far, I also bought the pitmasteriq I need to figure it out but I think it's going to be a nice tool to have. I completely forgot to take pics but I'll get some next go round for sure.

Jeremy

Great to hear you are liking the cooker/ smoke profile from the DEB. I have beeen using a BBQ Guru for 9 years and just this past year have started using the Pitmaster IQ and I am REALLY liking it ALOT.
Give me a call if you have any questions and I also have a tidbit of info that might be helpful
Thanks again for another order !