PDA

View Full Version : Choosing *another* Smoker: Need your opinion

SmokinJohn
10-13-2015, 11:58 AM
A revolution iss un ugly sing...and it is about time we had one.

I think I got hit on the head, because I want a new smoker for the backyard.

I don't need one :heh:, but it would let me consolidate what I have and make the missus happy by giving her back some of the yard space.

I'm looking at Spicewine (small or medium), G2 Chubby, and a Heavy Metal Smoker.

One of the Brers had a spreadsheet for his decision. I would rather solicit opinions. Since may of you have at least one of these, what do you think?

I won't be doing any whole hogs in these things.

You can, of course, tell me to be happy with what I have.

Ol'Joe
10-13-2015, 12:17 PM
why not diversify? get a quality electric smoker, there's some good ones out there, called Lazy Q, I got a Smokin it #2 and like it a lot.

16Adams
10-13-2015, 12:20 PM
You wouldn't be disappointed with a quality ceramic

BBQ_MAFIA
10-13-2015, 12:24 PM
There are a lot of good cabinet smokers around today so do your research carefully.
Most of us will recommend the cooker that we have so you need to prioritize what is important to you and what you are willing to pay. You will also need to think about the weight of the cooker. Some of these are very heavy so if you plan on moving it around you need to give this serious consideration.

I also recommend that you call each manufacturer and talk to them about their smokers. Most will be happy to help you.

I have a Spicewine and think it is a fantastic cooker. I would recommend the Medium Spicewine as I believe it is a great size. Mine is a Large and it is really big and heavy.
A Spicewine is made to last several lifetimes. Spicewine cookers are fully welded and built like tanks.

Good luck with your choice.

PatAttack
10-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Have a look at Humphrey's Smokers:

http://www.humphreysbbq.com/smokers/

SmokinJohn
10-13-2015, 12:30 PM
why not diversify? get a quality electric smoker, there's some good ones out there, called Lazy Q, I got a Smokin it #2 and like it a lot.

I dunno about electric....I saw one on craigslist, but I just don't know....

pjtexas1
10-13-2015, 02:17 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212571

I hate to give Heavy Metal Smokers a hard time but they bought out Abe's Smokers who had absolutely terrible customer service to almost everyone but me for some reason???

Ron_L
10-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Here is a great deal on a used Spicewine

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218988

itschris
10-13-2015, 04:05 PM
I'm sort of a cabinet smoker convert these days. I have a couple Stumps, but Humprheys, SpiceWine, Assassin and others all make great products. I don't think you'll make a mistake.

My only advice is that once you decide in you heart of hearts which one you want... the one that after all your research and serious contemplation about the present and your future endeavors steers you to and you know to be the one... abandon it and get the next one up in size.