PDA

View Full Version : Thermoworks probe failures

Seefyre
10-13-2015, 10:32 AM
I recently received a Thermoworks Chef Alarm for a gift. It came with an extra high temp probe.

Both the regular and high temp probes have failed after 2 cooks. They are used in my Shirley Fab smoker and have never had the wires crimped, they have never seen water except to clean the tip area and have never been over 275' F.

I'm surprised and disappointed. Ive been wanting a Thermopen but just can't trust the build quality.

Any similar experiences out there?

16Adams
10-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Know nothing about your first problem, but Thermapens are fantastic. That worry is incorrect.

ButtBurner
10-13-2015, 10:54 AM
I have a Thermoworks Dot

beat the snot out of the probe

always works fine

tunnelengineer
10-13-2015, 11:24 AM
There was a redesign of the probes within the last year. The newer ones last much better. We had the same issue, only three probes failed the first long cook. This was with the original (bad) probes. New ones are great.

Bebe
10-13-2015, 11:36 AM
I have a few Thermoworks and a bunch of probes... all of them good so far.

qman
10-13-2015, 12:56 PM
I have used a Chef's Alarm since they first came out, and the only probe issues I have ever had was one that I ripped apart by dropping a kettle lid with the probe in the vent; and a high temp needle probe --this week-- that I let touch the top element in my inside oven. The plastic on that one melted right quick.
Never had a probe failure that was not my fault.
Never had a thremopen issue either.
One I gave to my son got very wet--lets say submerged: he took it apart, dried it like you would a cell phone, and it works fine.