PDA

View Full Version : Thermoworks weighs in on LnS v. HnF pulled pork

charrederhead
10-13-2015, 08:42 AM
http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2015/10/pulled-pork-time-temperature-matters/?utm_source=Nl-2015Oct10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Feature&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Oct2015-Pulled-Pork-cs

I tend to agree w/ their comparison conclusion.

Bludawg
10-13-2015, 09:09 AM
I don't agree with their results having run basically the same experiment myself long ago and taste testing it on some pretty tough critics. However I don't cook neked wrapping after 4 hrs and there in could be the difference.

BurntOffering
10-13-2015, 09:13 AM
No surprise there.

qman
10-13-2015, 09:16 AM
I think their conclusions are basically correct. After all, they quoted Franklin and J. Kengi-from Serious Eats. LOL
I think Bluebawg is right too. Wrapping during a hot-and-fast most likely evens out the results.
I do not wrap, and I saw a difference in texture when I did the test.

Fwismoker
10-13-2015, 09:17 AM
For one thing 300* is hot and fast for butts? (chuckle) oh not really. Anyways i disagree. For one thing imo their butts looked terrible. Where is the nice mahogany color? :noidea:

They might be experts in therms but not in butt cooking, to me that's clear.

Cooking a butt @ 450* hanging style my butts were way tender so i just can't buy in to this 225 nonsense.

If you're not getting a nice mahogany color and instead it looks dried up brownish/black crusty and nasty then you're doing something wrong....JMO but the bark says alot.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/P1030360_zpshmikczan.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/P1030360_zpshmikczan.jpg.html)

Bludawg
10-13-2015, 09:29 AM
^^^ So True^^^

16Adams
10-13-2015, 09:30 AM
I enjoyed the article. If you cook at 225 or 300 OR if that's where your cooker likes to hang out its solid experiment with knowledge.
However, I prefer 275 and one particular cooker of mine I can dial in like an oven. The History of the word "butt" for pork shoulder was cool. I love my black Thermapen. About to order an on sale orange one for my DIL for Christmas. Solid product-interesting article.

What's not to love.

Buy and read Franklin's Manifesto--Listen to Bludawg brisket protocol for another-- You'll be a better cook. On your very next attempt.

PatAttack
10-13-2015, 09:37 AM
They need to stop cooking and build a battery powered wireless thermometer like the Maverick!!:idea:

aawa
10-13-2015, 09:59 AM
You can't cook hot and fast and low and slow and keep the same exact technique. There is a difference in the cooking process, so there has to be a difference in the technique used.

Not to mention they were cooking to a target temperature of 195 degrees. Most of the seasoned cooks here cook by feel (probe tender/bone wiggle test etc) vs cooking to a target temperature. Plus when cooking hot and fast, you do not get your proper doneness until a higher internal temperature than cooking low and slow.

Their test kept all things equal except for the temperature cooked at. Unfortunately you can't do that since the techniques are different.

cheez59
10-13-2015, 10:09 AM
The best flavored, most juicy and tender butt I ever cooked was at 285 for the entire cook. The worst butt I ever cooked was at 225. I'm sure there were other factors involved but I'm sticking with the shorter cook time of the hotter cook.

charrederhead
10-13-2015, 11:53 AM
http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2015/10/pulled-pork-time-temperature-matters/?utm_source=Nl-2015Oct10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Feature&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Oct2015-Pulled-Pork-cs

I tend to agree w/ their comparison conclusion.

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

Goddahavit
10-13-2015, 12:03 PM
cant cook to same temperature, must cook to same tenderness......

DetTigersFan
10-13-2015, 12:22 PM
Interesting comparison, but I would think the butt cooked at 300 would have been a better final product if cooked past 195. The 225 butt was probably closer to being perfect at 195, but at the end of the day pulling at an internal temperature for something like a pork butt is far from an exact science.

tduffy
10-13-2015, 04:18 PM
funny they say low and slow is better for competition bbq when most of the top competitors are cooking hot and fast.

cheeaa
10-13-2015, 04:32 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, you shouldn't care where someone else cooks. Cook where YOU want and what works best for you. This low and slow vs hot and fast is dumb. No one way is better.

landarc
10-13-2015, 04:35 PM
They got one thing wrong, the end cooking temperature for a pork butt will vary greatly with the heat you cook at. At 195F internal temperature, the hotter cooked butt was likely not done.

I cook at the hotter temperature and get the texture I desire.

landarc
10-13-2015, 04:36 PM
To add to that, for some, such as me, we prefer a pork product that is not strings of mushy pork. I prefer my pork to be pulling tender, but, chopped into chunks and dryer in texture that what many folks like

Bludawg
10-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Using a thermometer to know when your meat is done makes you as dumb as a thermometer

smoke ninja
10-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Yup flawed. As stated above the h&f butt probably needed more time thats likely why is wasnt as moist. The slow most likely had better texture because they didnt give the hot butt the much needed rest that helps that method so much

Fwismoker
10-13-2015, 05:57 PM
Yup flawed. As stated above the h&f butt probably needed more time thats likely why is wasnt as moist. The slow most likely had better texture because they didnt give the hot butt the much needed rest that helps that method so much

That and like mentioned the thermoworks folks should stick to what they do best which is making therms and not BBQ evidently.

Decoy205
10-13-2015, 06:07 PM
When I read this article I knew all these comments would happen. As soon as I read they pulled at 195 it was over for me haha. But they are selling therms so it's part marketing.

cheez59
10-13-2015, 06:29 PM
When I read this article I knew all these comments would happen. As soon as I read they pulled at 195 it was over for me haha. But they are selling therms so it's total marketing.

Fixed it for you.:wink:

charrederhead
10-13-2015, 07:33 PM
When I read this article I knew all these comments would happen. As soon as I read they pulled at 195 it was over for me haha. But they are selling therms so it's part marketing.

Same here...i foresaw a nice controversy so I posted it....I'm a little disappointed. :becky:

El Ropo
10-13-2015, 07:35 PM
I didn't see where they mentioned pulling the hot n fast butt out of the cooker when it was probe tender.. I think they cooked it to temp. Most of us around here know not to rely on internal temps when cooking a hunk of meat like a pork butt.

They also may not be aware that meats cooked hot and fast tend to get "done" at a higher internal temp. I suspect if they had cooked that hot n fast butt to 210 AND rested it properly for 2-6 hours, it would of been much closer in texture to the low n slow butt that was cooked to 195.

Fwismoker
10-13-2015, 07:55 PM
I didn't see where they mentioned pulling the hot n fast butt out of the cooker when it was probe tender.. I think they cooked it to temp. Most of us around here know not to rely on internal temps when cooking a hunk of meat like a pork butt.

They also may not be aware that meats cooked hot and fast tend to get "done" at a higher internal temp. I suspect if they had cooked that hot n fast butt to 210 AND rested it properly for 2-6 hours, it would of been much closer in texture to the low n slow butt that was cooked to 195.

Yep my last butts were done @ 450* and I pulled @ 195* and rested for a couple of hours....melt in your mouth. It's absolute nonsense that the cook has to be 225* to get the butt tender.

mbp
10-14-2015, 09:39 AM
Go take a look online and see all the different colors of bark. There are a lot of factors that play into the color of bark you get. The rub, temp, whether it's wrapped or not. I have cooked a ton of pork butt in my life and I perfect the dark crust. It has a better flavor and a nice texture. It's all a matter of preference.

Everyone has their own opinions and methods and that's what make bbq so much fun.