PDA

View Full Version : LSG 24 x 24 Offset Vertical Questions

Axeman
10-12-2015, 11:12 PM
I placed an order for an offset smoker from LSG on July 3rd. Wasn’t completely sure what I wanted at the time, so placed an order for a pipe smoker just to get in the queue. I still have a few weeks before they start fabrication, but need to tighten up my order soon before they start the build.

Based on feedback from the Brethren, I’m pretty much sold on the offset vertical with the warming oven. I know conventional wisdom is to go with the next size up from what you think you’ll need and I believe I’m doing that with the 24 x 24 which provides 6x the capacity of what I’m currently cooking on.

The questions I have are:

How much can you comfortably fit on each shelf of the 24” (briskets, butts, racks of ribs)?

Can you run hot & fast on the vertical?

Any reason why I shouldn’t expect the 24” to achieve the even temps that folks are getting with the 30” vertical?

I know it’s a stick burner and plan to use it that way, but is it worth ordering the charcoal basket/Guru port options to use for “unattended” cooks occasionally?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or input!

Shagdog
10-13-2015, 07:27 AM
I would say you should tape off a 24x24 square on the ground and see how big it is for yourself. Its not all that large.. I would guess 4 butts or 2 briskets per shelf?

Yes, you can absolutely run hot and fast. I would wager a bet that its easier to get it hotter than the 30" (but the difference is probably negligible. The 24" will heat faster, less steel)

I can't really answer your last question. ssv or Thoey1963 are better guys to ask. Both have this model.. or the 30" version maybe?

Here's a link to a couple good threads by ssv about his when he first got it. Lots of pics.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199899

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200530

Axeman
10-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks Shagdog, good suggestion. Actually, 4 butts or 2 briskets per shelf is more than adequate for what I need. I'll reach out to Chris at LSG as well to get his input. I appreciate the feedback!

Harrjack
10-13-2015, 03:58 PM
I have that exact pit your referring to. I was going with the 30" and changed my mind and went with the 24. I've got the temps within 10 degrees side and I think I will be able to get a little closer. As for capacity, I prefer not to crowd the racks. I've only had it about 3 weeks on one cook I done 6 butts 3 per rack, 2 briskets one rack. Second cook was 9 chickens butterflied used 3 racks. I could have loaded more.

pjtexas1
10-13-2015, 05:37 PM
I have a cooker with 17x21 racks and they will fit 2 10LB-14LB briskets on each rack. I would think you could get 2 15LB-18LB briskets on 24x24 racks. Maybe 3 small briskets?

ssv3
10-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Hey Axeman,

The capacity question was answered already. I went with 30 because I cook a whole hog time to time.

40lb hog

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--BT1eV9SJOA/VKSeQewVFaI/AAAAAAAAK_I/wMH6p5CtOYo/w1024-h576-no/20141231_153631.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S36We0J-L8uBj5akyGNNxw1IPKg6uPYCx-cFzY8yyec=w1358-h764-no

You can definitely go hot and fast. The vertical drafts like a dream so with a little extra fuel you can run it really high. It likes to run 275* on average and I have taken it to 450* in the main chamber with ease. I could've run it much higher if I chose to.

With the plates tuned you will get even temps no problem. You can even set up the tuning plates to have two different heat zones if you'd like.

Honestly don't waste your money. I outfitted mine with guru and probe ports along with the charcoal basket and I have yet to use them. I doubt I ever will.

It's a real nice rig and built like there is no tomorrow. You'll love it.

Axeman
10-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Thanks to all of you for your insight. I definitely appreciate you sharing your experiences. The info you’ve provided is helping me land on the right decision for the final specs for my smoker.

Thanks!