PDA

View Full Version : Thermoworks vs maverick thermometers

JJrrt
10-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Any suggestions on the the different manufacturers smoking thermometer with probes for both the grate temp and meat temp. I have read some good and bad about both.

mrboy
10-12-2015, 09:39 PM
I've had my Maverick for about 4 years and had no real problems after I learned how to handle the probes. Probes will fail and need to be handled with care.

The Thermoworks dual probe thermometers look really sturdy, but I can't see shelling out that much when the Maverick is so much cheaper and works so well.

I do have a ThermoPop and love it.

yakdung
10-12-2015, 09:39 PM
I have several from this company. The Mav is chicom and failed after three uses.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html

Gary Tomato
10-12-2015, 10:35 PM
I've had my Maverick for about four years and the probes still going strong, never had a problem with them. I had my BBQ Guru probes for less than six months before one of them died. It's the luck o' the draw me thinks!

cheez59
10-13-2015, 05:13 AM
I will start by saying that like most everything, you get what you pay for. My Maverick ET-733 works well but it is a pain to set up and eats batteries like they were free. I mean the receiver eats the batteries about every other cook. At $2 plus each time it will not take long to make up the difference between the Maverick and the equivalent Thermoworks. I have a 7 year old Thermapen that still has the original battery in it.

IamMadMan
10-13-2015, 06:16 AM
You really can't compare the two as a general type of thermometer. Thermoworks has many different thermometers which are very accurate and portable. probably the most common is the Thermapen used by many in the food industry.

The Maverick is a remote thermometer where as Thermoworks produces the BlueTherm Duo which is their remote thermometer. Vast difference in technologies, quality, speed, and accuracy.

Like someone said above, you get what you pay for, I'll agree with this statement; However not everyone has the same need, and need generates the design of a product. Keep in mind that thermometers are only tools, and can be great tools if used properly and are cared for.

For the backyard cook the Maverick will work fine and last many years if care is used during use and storage. Mine lasted 5 years without ant failure until I retired it and passed it on to someone else. But those who do catering or own a restaurant. most like the option of a faster more accurate handheld thermometer for issue food safety.

Buy according to your need, not just because someone else has one.

The bottom line is the thermometer is still only a tool, it's great for telling when food has reached a safe serving temperature, but they do not tell you when the meat is done. Only human intervention can give you that information. In the case of a Pork Butt, tug at the bone, when it wiggles like a loose tooth it is done. In the case of brisket and pork we also use the term "Probe Tender", this is when the probe inters the meat with little or no resistance. Steak doneness is tested by a finger press.

Meat quality and texture will vary from animal to animal so every time you cook a piece of meat it will cook differently. Otherwise cooking meat would be like making cookies, all done the same way and at the same time. Wouldn't that be great?

Thermometers are great for cooking poultry to make sure you have reached a safe serving temperature in all of the parts being served. Other than that they are just a guide to tell you when you should start to test your meat (probing or tugging) to see when it is at it's optimum point of being done.

itschris
10-13-2015, 08:28 AM
I have several of both. I use the Mavs all the time... I don't typically use the receiver however because I'm out babysitting the offset all the time so I just read the temp that's on the little box the probe is attached to. I've left them on for days on end by accident... left them out in the rain... they pretty much always work for me. I've got two with the dual probe and a couple of the singles.

I have a Thermapen and 2 Chef Alarms from Thermoworks... all their stuff is really nice. It just costs more money.