PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Chicken

GingerQ
10-12-2015, 08:55 PM
My questions are:

how long do you brine your chicken?
Do you marinate, rub, inject or maybe all three?
How long do you let your chicken marinate?
If you rub your chicken how long do you let it sit covered in rub before you cook it?
How long do you inject it before you cook it?
What temp would you smoke or cook your chicken at?
Cook time and or Temp?
What is your Favorite part of the Chicken to cook? e.g. Whole, Breast, Leg, wings, thighs...

Any guidance on chicken is much appreciated!
Maybe even the steps you would take to cook chicken!

Fwismoker
10-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Lots of good threads on the subject along with about a million different answers. You'll find what works for you, good info on here.

mrboy
10-12-2015, 09:26 PM
For whole chicken:
1 = At least 3 hours
2 = No marinade if brining/Meathead's Simon & Garfunkel rub under the breast skin and all over.
3 = For me no marinade is necessary if your are brining. Impart some of your flavor through the brine.
4 = Not long, rub's flavor will do it's business during the cook.
5 = Maybe some butter, but again, it's going to flavor the chick during the cook.
6 = 1 to 1.5 hours @ 325 or higher depending on spatchocked or not.
For parts:
7 = Thighs, I think they have the best flavor.

Bludawg
10-12-2015, 10:13 PM
My questions are:

how long do you brine your chicken?1 hr per LB
Do you marinate, rub, inject or maybe all three? I brine
How long do you let your chicken marinate? see #1
If you rub your chicken how long do you let it sit covered in rub before you cook it? 5 min
How long do you inject it before you cook it? N/A
What temp would you smoke or cook your chicken at? 325 -350
Cook time and or Temp? until its done When I can twist the drumsticks and they roll inthe joint they are done
What is your Favorite part of the Chicken to cook? e.g. Whole, Breast, Leg, wings, thighs... Whole birds

I brine 1 hr per lb
air dry over night in the fridge
mix my rub with mayonnaise and brush it on
cook 325-350 till done
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0124-1.jpg

Fwismoker
10-12-2015, 10:29 PM
My questions are:

how long do you brine your chicken?Mostly only breasts and only a couple of hours
Do you marinate, rub, inject or maybe all three? Used to inject but am lazy, the fire has been giving all the flavor I need.
How long do you let your chicken marinate?Mostly never unless I'm doing breasts
If you rub your chicken how long do you let it sit covered in rub before you cook it?Pretty much right away into the heat
How long do you inject it before you cook it?If injected just dry the skin well before cooking
What temp would you smoke or cook your chicken at?
Cook time and or Temp? Hot and direct heat...350*-550* has been the sweet area ...time not long at all for juicy delicious
What is your Favorite part of the Chicken to cook? e.g. Whole, Breast, Leg, wings, thighs...
gotta be thighs

As king of the chickens I prefer my subjects get a good suntan before meeting their final demise. Dry the skin well, olive oil and rub (under what skin you can easily do), hot fast direct heat over fire or red hot coals, go skin side down from maybe 120* to finish.

Always go by 165* breast for donenes because if it's there then the legs/thighs are gonna be 175-185* Chicken parts are a whole other discussion.

Direct fire spatchcocked and flipped part way through...sooooo tender juicy and tasty just oil and rub.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/P1030742_zpsxm60pw5s.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/P1030742_zpsxm60pw5s.jpg.html)

Rotisserie and oak split fire wings.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee407/Amerivet/P1030290_zpsxftss4ud.jpg (http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/Amerivet/media/P1030290_zpsxftss4ud.jpg.html)

Win nut
10-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Bludawg pretty much summed it up. Where my method differs is I rub under the skin and inside the cavity. I coat the outside with peanut oil, then rub. I use pecan and cherry to get a nice mild taste and darker color. I almost always do beercan chicken, standing vertically. I cook up to 170 in the breast. I also up the temp, 350 -375.

awscwi
10-13-2015, 05:28 AM
Bludawg...Would you mind sharing your brine recipe?

My questions are:

how long do you brine your chicen?1 hr per LB
Do you marinate, rub, inject or maybe all three? I brine
How long do you let your chicken marinate? see #1
If you rub your chicken how long do you let it sit covered in rub before you cook it? 5 min
How long do you inject it before you cook it? N/A
What temp would you smoke or cook your chicken at? 325 -350
Cook time and or Temp? until its done When I can twist the drumsticks and they roll inthe joint they are done
What is your Favorite part of the Chicken to cook? e.g. Whole, Breast, Leg, wings, thighs... Whole birds

I brine 1 hr per lb
air dry over night in the fridge
mix my rub with mayonnaise and brush it on
cook 325-350 till done
http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae164/Bludawg51/DSCF0124-1.jpg

CakeM1x
10-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Blu's Bird Brine

1/2 gal water
1/4 cup pickle or table salt
1/4 cup honey
1 tbl cider vinegar
1 tbl Louisiana style hot sauce
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime
Brine the poultry for 1 hr per lb rinse air dry in the refer for 4 hrs to over night.

QDoc
10-13-2015, 09:13 AM
There's many ways to cook chicken. If you're just starting out, make a note book of your cooks. You'll want to document Meat, weight, brine, marinade, rub, sauce, cooker, wood, charcoal, pit temp, technique (direct or indirect) wrap not wrap . Etc., In other words document everything including a photo of the finished product with your comments about your likes and dislikes. Don't document what others say about the cook. Most often they will not be exactly truthful.

jelewis67
10-13-2015, 09:23 AM
I've had the best success with brining my chickens. I'll have to try Bludawg's Brine. That looks like it will put some great flavor in the chicken.

I also agree with QDoc, start a notebook on all your cooks. I'm not as good as I should be about it, but it makes total sense. What works, what doesn't. Easy to refer back to when you take notes. I should do that with my mixology of rubs!

GingerQ
10-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Many good ideas to try out already... Thank you to all who have posted in this page so far... I'm always interested and ready to learn new ways to cook the meats we all love! I know for me just the discussion gets the blood flowing to the brain and that little light bulb comes on with new ideas! Now lets keep the ideas flowing and let the smoke roll!