PDA

View Full Version : Lavatools Javelin Pro @ $54.99 or Thermapen mk4 @ $99

captjoe06
10-12-2015, 01:35 PM
Birthday present for myself which would you choose at those price points?

Lavatools Javelin Pro @ $54.99 or
Thermapen mk4 @ $99

sliding_billy
10-12-2015, 01:40 PM
If the money is an issue, get a Thermapop. Otherwise (or a couple), there is no choice here IMO.

bvbull200
10-12-2015, 01:54 PM
You can get the classic Thermapen for $79. I don't see $20 worth of goodies in the Mk4 version.

For $99, though, I'd get a Thermopop ($19 when they have Open Box sales), a brisket, and a bottle of bourbon.

Shagdog
10-12-2015, 02:00 PM
+1 on the thermopop. They're great. And much cheaper.

BUT as to the question at hand - If it came down to it, Thermoworks just has a better reputation, better customer service, etc etc. I would not think twice about spending a little extra on the thermapen over the lavatools.

pjtexas1
10-12-2015, 02:07 PM
+1 on the thermopop. They're great. And much cheaper.

BUT as to the question at hand - If it came down to it, Thermoworks just has a better reputation, better customer service, etc etc. I would not think twice about spending a little extra on the thermapen over the lavatools.

same here. i have the thermopop and the thermapen. love both of them. just not enough out there yet on the javelin yet.

Fwismoker
10-12-2015, 02:09 PM
I know i like my lavasoft and really like the features on the new javelin pro so gotta try the Javelin Pro. I did a detailed comparison between that and the thermapen and just can't see why not to try to JP

el_matt
10-12-2015, 05:45 PM
I only have a purple Thermopop, but it works fantastic. I use it, damn near, every cook. It's not as fast as a Thermopen, but +/- 2 seconds, works for me.

Matt

Fwismoker
10-12-2015, 06:58 PM
Thermoworks will always win a poll like this because it's the main player but that lavasoft a'int too shabby.

DUBBAGA
10-13-2015, 07:51 AM
If it helps to make your decision, there is a sale on the original Thermapen in White, Pink and Orange for 48hrs only - $69

http://thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_private_sale_white_orange_pi nk.html?utm_source=Nl-2015Oct13&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Feature&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Oct2015-PS-3Color-Classic-cs

aawa
10-13-2015, 08:11 AM
Thermoworks hit a homerun with the Thermapen.

It reads superfast and is super accurate.

However what separates it from the rest is the durability of the thermapen. The thing can take a beating and keep on ticking.

Ron_L
10-13-2015, 08:44 AM

However what separates it from the rest is the durability of the thermapen. The thing can take a beating and keep on ticking.

That, and customer service. They are very responsive and will fix a Thermapen in the rare event that there is an issue for a reasonable fee (It used to be around $10, but I haven't had to do that for a long time.

AZRaptor
10-13-2015, 08:46 AM

It is durable, but I still don't recommend trying to lift a pork loin by sticking it with your Thermapen and lifting :crazy:, just go back inside and get a fork or put on your gloves.

That being said, the probe was able to be bent back straight.

As to which one to get I can only recommend Thermaworks, because I'd never heard of the other one until I saw this topic.

mbp
10-13-2015, 09:46 AM
Since the Javelin Pro is a thermistor and not a thermocouple you would really have to compare it to the ThermoWorks Super-Fast RT600C which is $15 right now on thermoworks.com or the ThermoWorks Thermopop which is $29.

The Thermapen Mk4 is in a league all by itself!

mbp
10-13-2015, 09:47 AM
What's is your favorite pellet smoker?

Fwismoker
10-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Since the Javelin Pro is a thermistor and not a thermocouple you would really have to compare it to the ThermoWorks Super-Fast RT600C which is $15 right now on thermoworks.com or the ThermoWorks Thermopop which is $29.

The Thermapen Mk4 is in a league all by itself!

I don't think i'd compare it to the RT600C which has a 5-6 second reading when the JPro has a 3-4 second and way more features. Maybe you're thinking of just the javelin aka lavasoft version.

Amazon.com: Ultra-High Performance Professional Digital Food/BBQ/Meat Thermometer - Lavatools Javelin PRO® (Chipotle): Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dhyvyHdmL.@@AMEPARAM@@41dhyvyHdmL

mbp
10-13-2015, 01:43 PM
If it's a matter of price than the RT600C is just as fast as the Javelin Pro and only $15. If it's a matter of cool features than the The Thermapen Mk4 blows the Javelin Pro out of the water and doesn't feel like a happy meal toy like the Javelin Pro. I have used all 4 if you're including the Thermopop, and can tell you ThermoWorks makes a better product!

Fwismoker
10-13-2015, 02:01 PM
If it's a matter of price than the RT600C is just as fast as the Javelin Pro and only $15.

JPro- reads in 3 seconds
RT600C - reads in 5-6 seconds

So now i'm really :confused:

I have a thermoworks therm similar to the RT600C and it's junk.

ItalianScot
10-13-2015, 04:15 PM
The Thermapen (Mk4 or Classic, it's a win-win proposition) and it's not even close.

The Javelin Pro is just another cheap thermometer from an unknown,web-only company (seriously, try to find the address) trying yet again to imitate the Thermapen. Their first attempt, the Javelin (formerly known as the Thermowand for some reason...woops) sold fast and cheap and failed in a matter of months...perhaps the reason for the name change? Just look at Amazon reviews. Most of the 5 star reviews are "right out of the box" reviews and most of the 1 star reviews are "1-2 month later" reviews with a common theme of lame construction, quick fails and hard-to-reach, email only customer service. So after that failed they made it bigger with some other useless features (temperature stabilization? that defies cooking logic), a 3 year warranty (down from lifetime) and a higher price.

If I was you I'd spend my money once on the highest rated thermometer available from a company with a one-of-a-kind customer service team that's been around for many years (you can even find them on a map). My guess is if you came here for answers you want the best, not the wanna be. But it's just a guess.