PDA

View Full Version : My new smoker from Johnson Custom Smokers

jwtseng
10-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Got my Ultimate Patio smoker delivered to California about a month ago thanks to Chad Johnson over at Johnson Custom Smokers. The thing is built like a tank, lights right up and drafts like it's going out of style. I included a pic of the Texas-style beef back ribs (they only sell these shiners out here in Cali!) I cooked on the day of delivery. Lemme know if anyone has any questions about the pit or if y'all want different pics of the unit itself. Highly recommended, great service and quality.

ssv3
10-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Congrats on the smoker and ribs look great! More pics of the rig please :becky: What are those two trays for at the bottom for?

Ron_L
10-12-2015, 01:34 PM
Congrats! It looks nice and so do the beef ribs!

pjtexas1
10-12-2015, 02:19 PM
congrats! looks like a nice one. only 1 pic of the cooker??? you know we won't stand for that.:boxing:

FireChief
10-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Congrats ! Interesting, I think that's the first RF Smoker I've seen that has a round firebox if I'm looking at it correctly. And yeah, one can never post too many pictures of a new pit ! Enjoy...

landarc
10-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Nice looking cooker, congratulations.

You need a better meat supplier, there are some great beef ribs out here.

jwtseng
10-12-2015, 02:42 PM
What are those two trays for at the bottom for?

Those are a couple of charcoal trays that came with the pit. You can remove the RF "pipe" from the bottom of the cooker and put the charcoal trays in its place and make it into a chargriller. Or if you wanna smoke on one half and chargrill on the other, you can put one tray of charcoal on the lower cooking rack and grill on the upper.

I'll put up more pics of the pit when I get home, and it'll be more apparent than I can explain.

txags2011
10-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Very nice! I looked at Johnson (45 min away from me) and almost went with one of his "T" smokers.

Great looking bones!

jwtseng
10-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Interesting, I think that's the first RF Smoker I've seen that has a round firebox if I'm looking at it correctly.

Yeah, the firebox is round. But it's not standard RF either. Instead of a welded -in RF plate, There is a 1/4" steel pipe about 8 inches diameter that inserts into the firebox and travels the length of the cooker. So if you look in the backwall of the firebox, you see the 24" diameter of the firebox with an 8" diameter circle where the RF pipe is inserted in the upper third of the firebox.

Bludawg
10-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Nice pit, the bonz look outstanding as does the view.

troy64
10-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Great looking rig. I've been very pleased with my smoker from Johnson Custom Smokers.

Doog
10-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Interesting setup. The 8" pipe sounds pretty unique.
Enjoy your new smoker!

Decoy205
10-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Nice cooker and bones!

jwtseng
10-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Additional views of the pit...

jwtseng
10-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Here is the little trapdoor in the main cooking chamber that can be opened or closed depending on whether you want the vertical to be a warming box or receiving active smoke.

jwtseng
10-13-2015, 11:53 AM
Views of the firebox and cooking chamber to show the RF pipe insertion and exit at the opposite end of the cook chamber.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
10-13-2015, 12:13 PM
What a great looking pit. The ribs look good too!

landarc
10-13-2015, 12:15 PM
That is an interesting take on a reverse flow cooker, thanks for the photos.

Fwismoker
10-13-2015, 12:40 PM
I hate this freaking place! Now this is towards the front of my wish list....ugh :frusty: Dang you people that put this stuff in my head. lol

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/ultimate-tailgater/

itschris
10-13-2015, 12:44 PM
I just got my two Stumps smokers... but I'm really starting to miss offset smoking. Hmmm... I see a Johnson Smoker in my future... maybe a Shirley... maybe both.

I hate all of you!!!!!

Q Junkie
10-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Additional views of the pit...

I have a question for you regarding the round grates in the warming box.
I am in the process of building a 24" round vertical and have not decided on whether to do round grates or round with squared off sides to allow for easy removal. What is your opinion on the completely round grates? Are they a pain to remove or do you just leave them in?

Enrico Brandizzi
10-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Mamma mia!
The smoker is marvelous, but the beef ribs look delicious!

jwtseng
10-13-2015, 01:57 PM
I have a question for you regarding the round grates in the warming box....What is your opinion on the completely round grates? Are they a pain to remove or do you just leave them in?

Originally, the vertical was spec'd for the 4 round shelves on a rotating axel! But I opted for 4 stationary grates instead to be able to fully utilize the real estate (eg. Half-size aluminum pans) and not have the width of the chamber obstructed in the middle by the rotating axel. So my mind-set is that the grates will be left in under most circumstances. So they don't function as sliding or pull-out cooking grates. They *are* very easily removed since they are simply resting on 4 points on the inside of the chamber. But I think trying to remove the grates when they are full of meat might be precarious.

pjtexas1
10-13-2015, 02:04 PM
I am in the process of building a 24" round vertical and have not decided on whether to do round grates or round with squared off sides to allow for easy removal. What is your opinion on the completely round grates? Are they a pain to remove or do you just leave them in?

I have a vertical cooker made out of 20" pipe and the round racks are a little tough if loaded with meat. They have to be turned at an angle to remove them. Go with the squared off sides that slide out on a track.

RDOwens
10-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Nice rig, but for me those ribs are just fabulous! Please send a plate.

txags2011
10-13-2015, 05:16 PM
I hate this freaking place! Now this is towards the front of my wish list....ugh :frusty: Dang you people that put this stuff in my head. lol

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/ultimate-tailgater/

If I had a truck (and a spare $2k), I would buy one tomorrow haha.

SmokeHouse Blues
10-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Nice looking smoker. Thanks for the extra pics!!

steinyboys
10-14-2015, 02:17 AM
Ok I want one can you ship it to Australia that is owsum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

TheHojo
10-14-2015, 09:03 AM
I got a Ultimate Combat Patio 2 years ago from Johnson Smokers - great pit - holds temperatures - cook on it 2 times a week - Chad is very easy to work with - http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/ultimate-compact-patio/

Backman0001
10-14-2015, 02:05 PM

I made one for dad with round grates and one for myself squared off. The squared off is much easier. Make it a rectangle and you will have less wasted space.

Free Mr. Tony
10-14-2015, 05:16 PM
Is there a grease drain? Looks like there is, but can't tell for sure. Great looking pit. Big fan of that design. Are the flattened ends on the main chamber and firebox standard? Their website has some pics that look like propane tanks, and some that are flattened like yours. I like the flattened look much better.

jwtseng
10-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Is there a grease drain? Looks like there is, but can't tell for sure. Great looking pit. Big fan of that design. Are the flattened ends on the main chamber and firebox standard? Their website has some pics that look like propane tanks, and some that are flattened like yours. I like the flattened look much better.

Yes, there is a grease drain in the middle of the horizontal cooking chamber. I added a shutoff valve. The flattened ends are standard now. The rounded ends are no longer available. My understanding is that there is very little difference in air flow and heat distribution. And flattened ends are easier to make and also provide for a better seal on the firebox door.

grandpax4
12-01-2017, 09:38 AM
I am talking to Chad today to get a unit for my back yard. any recommendations? Believe I am leaning toward a reverse flow with a warmer/smoker box. Weekend back yard warrior

SmittyJonz
12-01-2017, 10:22 AM
I like the T Pits - don’t have one but I’ve made 2 T UDSs.

Czarbecue
12-01-2017, 10:42 AM
I second the T pit as well. Nice clean build and was my second choice behind a Shirley.

bonz50
12-01-2017, 10:51 AM
that's an interesting design with that pipe down the center

nice lookin rigs though by them. I'd own one.

SmoothBoarBBQ
12-01-2017, 12:15 PM
I am talking to Chad today to get a unit for my back yard. any recommendations? Believe I am leaning toward a reverse flow with a warmer/smoker box. Weekend back yard warrior

It all depends on your needs and budget, but if you want a single door smoker with a vertical warmer you're probably looking at the Ultimate Compact Patio. Chad's smokers are built very well and he's very easy to work with. He also does custom work so make sure to get exactly what you want.

I've had the Ultimate Chargrill Trailer for ~9 months now and I absolutely love it. Anyways, if you are looking at the vertical warmer box ask Chad to install a vent on top of the firebox, inside the warmer box, so if you ever need to you can also cook in there. With the side-vent into the smoking chamber it comes with you won't be able to get that warmer box above ~160°F. For most people that's perfect but I do catering so every now and again I need it for extra cooking space. I called Chad about this a couple months after I got the smoker and he shipped me out a vent, free of charge, so I could take it to a welder and get it welded in ($60 for the job).

Last KCBS competition I cooked we also had to do 6 pork butts for vending during turn-ins, so I used the vertical warmer box as a smoker and it worked out well. Only issue is that I forgot to put a grease pan on the bottom rack to catch all the juices and I ended up with about a quart of pork grease sitting on top of the firebox and just smoldering off... not a pleasant smell. haha

Good luck with your cooker and I hope it all works out! Any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.