PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Turkey

motley que
11-13-2006, 09:55 PM
WOW is all i can say. what is it? pics? this dude describes it better than i can, especially since it was his recipe. the house still smells farkin good.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=turkey

frognot
11-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for posting this. Very comprehensive expalnation & that's one fine lookin' bird!

Plowboy
11-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Okay, I'm doing that!!!

Arlin_MacRae
11-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Oh man! Thanks for that!

Bill-Chicago
11-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I don't get it.

Wet rub and cinnamon on the outside of the cheesecloth? Spraying while cooking to roast/burn the cinnamon? Then discarded?

I would want the turkey to have the nice brown finish, not the wrapper.

Will be interesting to see how your experiments work out.

I'm thinking the cloth forms a protective "skin", or appears to, that locks in moisture. Wish he woulda cut into it, for I would like to see if smoke can actually even penetrate all that stuff.

Not dissing his recipe, just curious.

Alien has some very interesting ideas over the years I've read him there

motley que
11-14-2006, 11:39 AM
the cinnamon outside of the cloth, does a few things. it gives flavor to the bird, makes a tasty gravy and prevents the breast from drying out. You do remove the cloth about an hour before its done, so the bird gets a nice color. Its extremely juicy. The smoke does penetrate the bird, not with a great smoke ring, but the flavor is there.

Bill-Chicago
11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
the cinnamon outside of the cloth, does a few things. it gives flavor to the bird, makes a tasty gravy and prevents the breast from drying out. You do remove the cloth about an hour before its done, so the bird gets a nice color. Its extremely juicy. The smoke does penetrate the bird, not with a great smoke ring, but the flavor is there.

Understand now.

Based on your post, I'll give this a try. I'm usually not a big recipe person (I usually fark them up) and just go with the basics, but this has me interested in copying exactly.

Thanks Que