PDA

View Full Version : Kalua Pork, Huli Huli Chicken, and SPAM

Haveuseen1?
10-12-2015, 11:53 AM
A friend was having a Hawaiian themed wedding party this past weekend. I was asked to bring some Hawaiian foods. I did a Kalua Pork Butt, about 15 pounds of Huli Huli Chicken, and 4 cans of spam. It was all really good, and I was shocked at how many people went crazy for the spam.

On the Kalua Pork, I used a 9 pound butt, rubbed with 3 tablespoons of liquid smoke, and coarse salt. Wrapped it in Banana leaves, and then foil. Cooked at 350 until probe tender, bone pulled out clean.

On the Huli Huli Chicken, I used the marinade recipe from Amazingribs, and used boneless skinless thighs. It was another winner.

On the spam, I cross cut it, and then sprinkled Yardbird rub, and then HDD! It was a really good combination, and really a big hit.

jermoQ
10-12-2015, 12:53 PM
That is a very good menu!

Isn't SPAM the official meat of Hawaii? I have seen it in TV shows about Hawaiian food. Anyway...it is tasted when over the fire!

landarc
10-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Nicely done, the proper foods

Q Junkie
10-12-2015, 01:26 PM
The banana leaves definitely contribute to the Kalua flavor. Just not the same without them. My next pork butt is scheduled to be a quasi Kalua cook. Going to smoke until I like the bark then wrap in banana leaves. I already told my neighbor that I will be trimming one of his trees when it is time.:wink:

Haveuseen1?
10-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Smoking then wrapping is a great idea, I wish I had thought of that. You are correct on the leaves and flavor. I had never used them before, and they worked out perfect and the flavor was really nice.

HDD and Smoked Spam is a really nice combo

SmokinJohn
10-12-2015, 03:49 PM
That is a very good menu!

Isn't SPAM the official meat of Hawaii? I have seen it in TV shows about Hawaiian food. Anyway...it is tasted when over the fire!

It isn't technically, but Hawaii's per capita consumption of Spam ranks it #1 out the 50 states.

Seefyre
10-12-2015, 07:27 PM
The best part of Hawaiian food-THE MEAT. Looks awesome my friend!