PDA

View Full Version : Offset grease

Roguejim
10-12-2015, 03:32 AM
For you guys that do not use convection, or tuning plates, do you just let grease drip on to the bottom of the cooking chamber?

BigBobBQ
10-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Yes and I have a drain pipe on one end that it drips out of into a little 1 gallon metal bucket I keep under it.

cheez59
10-12-2015, 06:38 AM
I no longer have a stick burner but when I did I wanted the grease out as soon as it got to the bottom of the smoker. I left the drain open full time with a bucket under it. No chance of ever having a grease fire that way.

itschris
10-12-2015, 06:40 AM
Same here. There's always a nice collection of crud after awhile, however. I usually do what I call a burnout each smoke. I dump a raging hot chimney of coals in the firebox which brings the smoker up to 450-500...how ever hot I can get it. It burns all the bits and pieces off... I put gloves on and scape with a wide putty knife... Hit it with crumbles foil...and than I just push the grime into the firebox...carefully so as not to have a crazy grease fire.

The grates and chamber get nice and clean but what I found to be a great benefit is that the entire smoker is now radiating heat after being all warmed up at high temp. It made for much more stable cooks.

COS
10-12-2015, 06:50 AM
In my cos I put a layer of aluminum foil in the main chamber. Haven't done it yet with my Oklahoma Joe yet, been able to stick a pan under the food. Makes it easier for clean up. Rather spend the extra time putting aluminum in than scraping afterwards.

itschris
10-12-2015, 08:59 AM
In my cos I put a layer of aluminum foil in the main chamber. Haven't done it yet with my Oklahoma Joe yet, been able to stick a pan under the food. Makes it easier for clean up. Rather spend the extra time putting aluminum in than scraping afterwards.

I'm a bit of a neat freak with my stuff. I finally got smart and did that when I got my new smokers. I put foil down and it does just make everything easier.

Bludawg
10-12-2015, 09:00 AM
I let mine drain during the cook and steam clean it after it all goes in the bucket.

Woody Butthrie
10-12-2015, 09:46 AM
I have a couple of cheap aluminum pans underneath. Clean with hot water every once and a while.

BigHatBBQ
10-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Absolutely Not. Treat your smoker like your oven. You would never throw meat on the rack and let it fill up the bottom of your oven with grease. Buy the .50 cent aluminum throw away pans big enough to catch what your smoking. Fill it with water,juice or beer if you need the moisture otherwise leave it dry. I never have to clean my smokers, I am not ruining the bottom of my smokers and I am not creating a fire hazard with all the grease.