PDA

View Full Version : Question about fire management on Oklahoma joe highlander

COS
10-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Does it sound about right to add a couple of small splits every 20-30 min? I could go a little longer but then takes a little longer to get the new splits to flame. As of now my splits flame up within a minute after adding. In my other COS I was a using a basket with more charcoal for a base. With this new pit I ditched the basket and have a good base of coals going and add wood as I need to, small hot fire.

Bludawg
10-11-2015, 07:40 PM
You're in the ball park. You should be able to get 30-45 min. If your adding every 20 min cut your splits a little thicker and preheat on top of or inside the firebox if you have room.

longhair75
10-11-2015, 07:48 PM
My smoker is also an Oklahoma Joe, and that sounds about right to me

BBQ Freak
10-11-2015, 07:53 PM
also depends on what wood you are using and how seasoned it is but in a OKJ that sounds about right .

COS
10-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks, I have mainly cherry. Got some post oak along with some other fruit woods.
Unfortunately can't control my split size for its already cut. Next time I get some local wood I will cut them a little larger.

BBQ Freak
10-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks, I have mainly cherry. Got some post oak along with some other fruit woods.
Unfortunately can't control my split size for its already cut. Next time I get some local wood I will cut them a little larger.

what I do with my Brinkmann Cimarron is I take my 18 " splits that I buy when I buy a cord and use a vise to hold them and just cut them in half with a chain saw .:cool: