PDA

View Full Version : Question for SF owners.....vertical smoker use

luvysbbq
10-11-2015, 07:03 PM
ive been playing around with my new toy and have a question for those that use the SF cooker as a vertical smoker.

In a couple weeks, I'm cooking for a wedding rehearsal and they want burgers and grilled chicken. I understand I could use the drip pan or ash pan as a charcoal pan, but did not want to take a chance on possible grease fires. I was wanting to put a fire in the firebox and pull the damper out for vertical cooking. How hard is it to get upto 350-400? While seasoning today, I got upto 320, but I had to open both dampers and the smoke stack on the warmer to get this temp. I thought by pulling the damper on the warmer only (firebox to warmer), I'd reach it easy.......but it wasn't.

I'm still playing around and getting use to everything, any help offered from those that use them vertical often would be great!

Thank you in advance, Mike

SGH
10-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Brother i have cooked in the vertical many times. The pan in the vertical is so you can cook direct if you chose. I have cooked burgers, steaks and chicken with wood coals in the pan. No problem at all. Its kind of like cooking in a PBC or UDS. Also if you pull the damper and build a large fire in the firebox, you should easily be able to to hit 400 degrees. I have ran the vertical on my Shirley in excess of 500 for pizza.

jbounds286
10-11-2015, 07:38 PM
close stack on main chamber exhaust...open stack on vertical exhaust, fire in firebox, open damper from firebox to warmer, keep damper from main chamber to warmer closed, u will easily hit 500. i do it all the time

luvysbbq
10-11-2015, 07:42 PM
close stack on main chamber exhaust...open stack on vertical exhaust, fire in firebox, open damper from firebox to warmer, keep damper from main chamber to warmer closed, u will easily hit 500. i do it all the time

Are you leaving drip pan and heat shield in.......I'm guessing so?

BBQ Freak
10-11-2015, 07:48 PM

I leave the drip pan in but take the metal defuser out to radiate more heat , you going to haft to play with it because it is all about fire management

SGH
10-11-2015, 07:49 PM

I leave it in.

jbounds286
10-11-2015, 08:04 PM
no i take the charcoal pan out of the warmer..and i rotate the diffuser 90 degrees so its sitting on top of the rails so that more air can come in.

SGH
10-11-2015, 08:08 PM

Let me add to my above statement, if im cooking pizza, then i pull it. If im cooking 400 degrees or less i leave it in. When cooking meat i like to put a little sand in the pan to make clean up easier. For pizza or bread, there is no mess so i will pull it. Short of this i leave it in.