PDA

View Full Version : Klose tuning plates

2nd hand
10-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Hey guys, I've had my Klose 60inch byc with upright for years and when I ordered it I was told it was too small for plates. It has a 20inch main chamber. I want them anyway cause I hate doing the meat mambo as I tend to make a lot of the same cuts and the time difference is maddening. I've tried contacting Dave and Dana but can't seem to get anywhere. Im trying to find out how far off the bottom or below my 1st grate the rails for the plates should be welded? I've seen plenty of pics and I'll use 1/4 inch steel I just don't want to weld rails in the wrong spot. Any help would be appreciated.

2nd hand
10-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Crap sorry bout the pic

Harbormaster
10-11-2015, 12:42 PM
I put tuning plates in my 16" diameter Brinkmman Cimmaron despite being told it was too small.
They sit under the cooking grate on the sides of the cook chamber. Not welded in and no rails. It allows me to adjust to even out temps as necessary.
1/4" steel plates that are 6" wide, 13.5" long, and sit 3.5" inches below the cooking grate.

BBQ Freak
10-11-2015, 01:38 PM
I put them in every offset that I have owned even in my Brinkmann Cimarron . I would not weld them and they will sit in there just fine , just make a template out of thick cardboard to see what size you need . then just take your measurements up to a metal fab shop and all I paid was $24 for 6 plates , also the plates they sell are 6" width so just measure how many you need and how long ?

jonboy
10-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Call Dana at Klose.
She can give you the dimensions that will work for your smoker.
On mine the first two are 1/2 inch plate about 10 inch wide then 3/8 plate about 8 inch wide for the balance of cooker.
The length or rail height can be easily determined by looking at the firebox inlet.
I don't think you need to weld anything.
Just jam the first plate tight to the firebox, second plate about 1/16 inch spacing, increase spacing about 1/8 inch for the balance.
I like to use a water pan on the first plate raised up.
jon

Bludawg
10-11-2015, 03:22 PM
You don't need to weld anything in. Measure down 6 " from the bottom grate then measure the width of the of the pit at that height and cut your plates to that dimension with various widths

SmittyJonz
10-11-2015, 07:07 PM
they need to be removable/moveable......Tuning Plates= Moveable Plates that tune the smoker........I'd make some 10" and some 8" and some 6" wide and Play with it aka Tune It.

2nd hand
10-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Thanx guys I do appreciate it . I'm gonna do as you say and grab a a few of all 3 sizes.

2nd hand
10-14-2015, 03:57 PM
So I just got off the phone with Dave Klose and I'm thinking about taking his advice and simply sell this one and buy a slightly larger one that he seems tuneable.

Bludawg
10-14-2015, 03:59 PM
He just wants to sell you anew pit, get some plates!

BBQ Freak
10-14-2015, 04:31 PM
He just wants to sell you anew pit, get some plates!

agree with you a 100 percent .