PDA

View Full Version : Keeping cooked brisket one week: fridge or freeze?

txags2011
10-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Got another thread going on with my cook, but I wanted to ask this question separately to get more opinions. One of these big briskets is for a friend's tailgate at the TAMU/BAMA game next Saturday, and I'm trying to figure out if it will be good in the fridge till then when they will heat it back up, or should I maybe break it down into thirds or fourths and vac pac and freeze.

Would like to know what others have done. Thanks!

Cook here - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218840

yakdung
10-11-2015, 10:10 AM
I plan to vacuum seal a cooked brisket I plan to take on a trip using my Weston Pro 2300. It will not be for a week, but only 2 days. I see pre-smoked briskets all of the time at HEB that have been in the fridge case more than a week. That's the route I would take. I would not freeze for that short period of time.

landarc
10-11-2015, 10:50 AM
The proper answer is any food to be held for more than three days should be held frozen.

However, if you let the brisket completely cool, and vacuum pack it, a week in the bottom of the fridge will be fine. Make sure it's completely cool though. The larger you can keep it, the better.

IamMadMan
10-11-2015, 02:39 PM
The proper answer is any food to be held for more than three days should be held frozen. The larger you can keep it, the better.

^ +1... I agree...

LMAJ
10-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Freeze.

cinmur
10-11-2015, 03:31 PM
We cook around 70 lbs of briskest for events.... Cook them 2-3 weeks ahead of time and freeze them... Reheat slowly and they are as good or better than right out of smoker.

mavguy
10-11-2015, 04:33 PM
I agree with the 3 day rule and freeze it. I little nervous after that.

txags2011
10-11-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks for all the input. Going to do the full chill per landarc and vacseal and freeze just to be safe. I'll have them thaw in the fridge starting like Thursday night and should be good by Saturday AM. It will be reheated on a grill in a pan with some reserved drippings and sliced on site.

Thanks again!