PDA

View Full Version : Wire brush alert! Close call

biggs98
10-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Had a close call with a wire bristle. I was pulling some pork and sampling some bark and felt a sharp twinge and to my surprise it was a bristle from the wire brush. I've read horror stories but never experienced it before. After that I was sifting through the meat like a crazy person.
Anyone have any other alternatives for cleaning the grates?? I'm a little paranoid now.

yakdung
10-11-2015, 09:46 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/health/doctors-issue-warning-about-cleaning-grills-with-120029534272.html

dwfisk
10-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Sorry for the bad experience. I've read way to much about this and I've quit using wire brushes altogether. Instead I routinely use a scraper (short stubby spatula) to scrape of thisk crud combined with a "chain mail" scrubber for cast iron LMAJ shared in an earlier post. Check out: cleaningcastiron.com/griddle

Edit: or just google "chain mail scrubber"

Bludawg
10-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Rolled up ball of aluminum foil

jiveturkey1
10-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Aw snap! This is the first time I've heard of this!! I'm curious to hear about alternatives to a wire brush. I've seen a wire looking cleaner with what looked like "closed loops" if that makes sense. Does anybody know what I'm talkinng about and if they clean good?

Mdboatbum
10-11-2015, 09:55 AM
I just get the grate good and hot then scrub with a wad of aluminum foil. It works better than a wire brush, doesn't pose the same risks and when I'm done with it I toss it.

rehless
10-11-2015, 10:37 AM
I ordered some grill bricks online. Used them when I cooked for a living. They do a good job on the grill grates. First I scrap the chunks off with a paint scraper, then grill brick, then wipe down with a paper towel.

sassage
10-11-2015, 11:34 AM
Definitely aluminum foil. If that can't handle it, the grate will get removed and some brush treatment followed by a rinse and several passes with oiled towel

Blue Smoke BBQ
10-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Rolled up ball of aluminum foil

This, or use a Billy Bar
I have been scared away from wire brushes for awhile.

dadsr4
10-11-2015, 11:41 AM
For a Weber type grill, a piece of soft wood, like a paint stir stick, works well for the big pieces. A SS scrubby, sold in most hardware and cooking supply places works well on the hot grates.

WildeMan
10-11-2015, 11:53 AM
I still use a brush but I watch it much closer now. After brushing I like to go over it with an oiled paper towel held with tongs, the wet towel likes to help grab the loose stuff left after brushing.

DetTigersFan
10-11-2015, 01:02 PM
I still use a brush but I watch it much closer now. After brushing I like to go over it with an oiled paper towel held with tongs, the wet towel likes to help grab the loose stuff left after brushing.

I also lightly use a wire brush, visually inspect the grate and then wipe it down a bit with a wet paper towel. I use a quality Weber brush that's in good shape. I wouldn't use a cheapo brush... Wires tend to come loose on them much easier in my experience.

dadsr4
10-11-2015, 01:55 PM
If you have dogs, there is another issue with using a wire brush. They love to scarf up all those crumbly bits that are left behind. Since they don't chew, they are even more likely to swallow the grease-coated wire bristles.

Fwismoker
10-11-2015, 01:55 PM
I like and use the foil but here's some interesting tools. The grillion and the grill floss intrigue me.

http://bbq.about.com/od/accessories/tp/Alternatives-To-Wire-Grill-Brushes.htm

GUSTERBOY
10-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Take them out and use power washer or car wash.

biggs98
10-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks for some of the ideas....I'm only going to use a brush if I take the grates out and hose them off before they go back on. I also saw grill stones in HD, do these work ok??

Hankdad1
10-11-2015, 07:23 PM
I had seen the warnings before and even a report on the local news about a guy needing surgery to remove a bristle. But when Mrs Hankdad spit one out and put it on her plate I threw mine out. We had a neighborhood block party a couple of weeks ago and saw our neighbor had a wire brush for his grill. I told him about the problem and our experience. I was gratified to notice the brush in the garbage can as we left.

Gulf
10-11-2015, 07:46 PM
When they get really bad, I let mine soak for a little while in a "one size fits all tub" of dawn. Then I use one of those cheap dollar store "plastic" scrub brushes to clean :-D.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/GulfCoastScooter/Splits%20001_zpscfwwysyi.jpg

My tub is just one of those blue plastic 55 gallon drums. I cut it off just above the bottom ring, drilled a couple of holes for handles and threaded some 1/4" nylon rope for some red air hose handles. Notice that it is setting on a very portable milk crate.

Disregard that SS tooth brush that is sitting in the foreground :shocked:. It is only used for the worstest of the worstest. Every thing gets rinsed with a water hose.

rookiedad
10-11-2015, 07:55 PM
first get the grill hot so the stuff loosens up. use the aluminum foil ball first, follow that with an onion cut in half, toss that onion into the fire, finally, get a big wad of wet paper towels and finish off the grill until the towels wipe clean. as a final step you can get a bunch of paper towels and soak them in cooking oil and oil the grates down. use gloves!!!

dadsr4
10-11-2015, 09:20 PM
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa345/dadsr4/Dogs/Chefcleaningthegrill_zpsfd3b44c1.jpg

Trailer Trash
10-11-2015, 09:33 PM
Rolled up aluminum foil is perfect (and cheap). First, I hit it with my weed burner, then take the char off with aluminum foil. Wipe done with wet towel and oil f you like...

robbq
10-12-2015, 12:27 AM
Aw snap! This is the first time I've heard of this!! I'm curious to hear about alternatives to a wire brush. I've seen a wire looking cleaner with what looked like "closed loops" if that makes sense. Does anybody know what I'm talkinng about and if they clean good?

Yes, I just got one because I am worried about this problem. It is like a handle with a a ball of steel wool on the end. I have only used it once so I don't know how they hold up. It worked fine.

Jeff H
10-12-2015, 06:50 AM
I also lightly use a wire brush, visually inspect the grate and then wipe it down a bit with a wet paper towel. I use a quality Weber brush that's in good shape. I wouldn't use a cheapo brush... Wires tend to come loose on them much easier in my experience.

^This^

I've had bristles come off of the cheap brushes. All I use now is quality Weber brushes.

NickTheGreat
10-12-2015, 08:03 AM
I've used the grill stones and they work okay. I feel like there's a bit of dust afterwards, so I wipe down with a oily cloth (olive oil).

But I also mostly do the foil wad method. Especially if you save clean used foil from other cooking, I don't feel as wasteful. :-D

jfletcherMD
10-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Another vote for the "balled aluminum foil" method here. I try to do it when the grill/cooker is still warm, and it gets off most of the goo with ease.

For tougher stuff, I use a Martin Grill Gadget that I got as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. Scrapes off the hard gunk with a couple of passes and doesn't scratch or mar the grates. A quick blast with the hose after that, and I'm good to go.

pvcollie
10-12-2015, 11:53 AM
There is a tool out there called a Billy Bar that I use on the Primo grill. Does a nice job. Just do a search for the name. I have no affiliation with this company.

What about cleaning steel racks on cookers like Stumps, Superior or Assassin? The pressure washer seems to work the best. Here in FL, grease left too long draws mold.

allancoh
10-12-2015, 02:48 PM
foil ball does wonders, even if you dont do it while the grill is hot

Woody Butthrie
10-12-2015, 03:03 PM
I have used aluminum foil for years. That grill stone block looks pretty good. I believe that's what the Blackstone griddle top recovery video show to remove the rust from the top.

Papa Don
10-12-2015, 07:31 PM
One more thing to worry about, crap. Gotta try the aluminum ball.

mikemci
10-12-2015, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=dwfisk;3376680]Sorry for the bad experience. I've read way to much about this and I've quit using wire brushes altogether. Instead I routinely use a scraper (short stubby spatula) to scrape of thisk crud combined with a "chain mail" scrubber for cast iron LMAJ shared in an earlier post. Check out: cleaningcastiron.com/griddle

Edit: or just google "chain mail scrubber"[/QUOTE)

Thanks dwfisk. Ordered 2 off Amazon last night ( one as a gift for bil, he loves his ci as much as I do).

BBQchef33
10-12-2015, 07:49 PM
another vote for ball'o foil... :) i keep a spray bottle of water at the grill.... get the grates hot, mist them with the spray so they steam and then rub them with a ball of foil held with tongs.. quick steam cleaning.. Also works with some pam.

BBQchef33
10-12-2015, 07:51 PM
or..

count the bristles on the brush before and after. if its not the same, start looking for the missing bristle.

:wacko::butt::dancer: