PDA

View Full Version : smoked turkey question

DouG M
10-11-2015, 06:58 AM
Canada Thanksgiving is here and I want to smoke the bird on my UDS. My question is do any of you put some carrot,onion,apple etc. in the bird or just leave empty. I'm going to oil and spice the skin first.

SGH
10-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Brother I do them both ways. Sometimes I load the cavity up and sometimes I leave it empty. I really like lemon wedges, thyme and sage. The aroma it gives off smells like the holidays to me.

EverettBBQ
10-11-2015, 08:44 AM
I use apple, orange and onion.
I cut up then put in microwave to warm them up.
Gets the flavor going faster.
Good luck:clap2:

Bludawg
10-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Brother I do them both ways. Sometimes I load the cavity up and sometimes I leave it empty. I really like lemon wedges, thyme and sage. The aroma it gives off smells like the holidays to me.
^^^This^^^

trufunk
10-11-2015, 12:52 PM

Same thing here!

bonehead762
10-11-2015, 10:58 PM
I just smoked my first turkey and I spatchcocked it. I"ve been doing all my chicken this way and I really like it a lot better. jmo

cowgirl
10-11-2015, 11:16 PM
On the drum, I like to spatchcock turkeys and put the flavoring under the skin.
Sometimes I place the bird on a rack in a foil pan to catch the drippings for gravy.
Smoked turkey is hard to beat no matter which way you go with it. :)

SGH
10-12-2015, 12:14 AM

I agree sister.

Jeff H
10-12-2015, 06:59 AM

+2

Did one last night. Nothing in the cavity, just a dry rub on the skin after a 2 day brine and smoked with apple at 300 degrees. Turned out fantastic as usual.

daninnewjersey
10-12-2015, 08:31 AM
I've done quite a few of them. Being the lazy guy I am, I don't brine or add anything other than black pepper, K salt, and some olive oil on the skin. Cook them hot like 350-ish and let rest. You'll never have turkey any other way again.....