PDA

View Full Version : flipping meat

baldbill
10-11-2015, 02:58 AM
WHen cooking butts does anyone constantly turn their butts ( like every 30 minutes??) I had some guy trying to tell me how to cook butts..... I know how believe me but ive never heard of anyone turnung th the butts every thirty minutes. He claims that this is how mixon does it, anyone been to his class that can verify it.

ShadowDriver
10-11-2015, 03:16 AM
I'm no brainiac, but I'd think that opening my pit to turn/flip the meat every 30 minutes would slow things down to a crawl in there!

DetTigersFan
10-11-2015, 03:43 AM
Based on the results I've had cooking them without "flipping" I would tend to think it's a waste of time... I won't be trying it lol
I agree with Shadow as well, opening the cooker that often would slow your cook down some also.

baldbill
10-11-2015, 03:56 AM
I agree. I believe in letting them sit , low and slow , But this jackass insisted that the ones who win all the comps flip their butts etc often, he does his every thirty minutes.

COS
10-11-2015, 05:45 AM
I let mine sit. I do rotate, not flip, mid cook. I do this so one side doesn't darken more than the other.

If they guy insist on doing it that way let it be. Sort of like some people use a water pan or not. Some people wrap ribs, some cook at 225 and some at 275. Find your style and what works for you.

PaulstheRibList
10-11-2015, 05:47 AM
I try to never move anything until I pull it or wrap it.

yakdung
10-11-2015, 07:48 AM
It's not a hamburger. Sounds a bit goofy to me.

Harbormaster
10-11-2015, 08:13 AM
If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'.

I concur with what the others have said, and never move any of those large cuts once they are on the pit, butts, brisket, etc...

Of course, I cook on 18.5" WSMs and it can be a little tough to get in and move butts around.

Just sayin'.

Bludawg
10-11-2015, 08:43 AM
flip this

IamMadMan
10-11-2015, 09:01 AM
As the others have listed above, flipping the meat would be counter-productive to the cooking process in a smoker due to the constant heat loss when the door is held open to flip the butts.

Maybe he was referring to cooking on a grill without a rotisserie?

In a smoker the meat is evenly bathed in the indirect smokey heat from the smoker on all sides. In my opinion there would be no reason to flip the pork butts, they are cooking evenly on all sides absorbing the smokey goodness as it cooks.

wjwheeler
10-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Just saw this. We don't touch the butts until it's time to wrap them.

wsswesty
10-28-2015, 03:42 PM
No need to flip!

Joe Black
10-28-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm with Bludawg

rookiedad
10-28-2015, 07:43 PM
i flip!!! but just once in the cooking process.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
10-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Just one question. Do you often converse with morons?

code3rrt
10-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Unless you have a major issue with heat distribution in your cooker, it makes no sense.

KC

quamdar
10-29-2015, 03:11 AM
Never done it and don't plan to. If you want to flip it that much I'd say it would be easier to just rig up a rotisserie in your smoker though and have it constantly flipping...

jemezspring
10-29-2015, 06:25 AM
As the others have listed above, flipping the meat would be counter-productive to the cooking process in a smoker due to the constant heat loss when the door is held open to flip the butts.

Maybe he was referring to cooking on a grill without a rotisserie?

In a smoker the meat is evenly bathed in the indirect smokey heat from the smoker on all sides. In my opinion there would be no reason to flip the pork butts, they are cooking evenly on all sides absorbing the smokey goodness as it cooks.

I too am a non flipper. I might rotate once depending on how I set up my fire. But, maybe what the guy is doing is inadvertently creating a moister cooking environment. Not sure about my science but I think when you introduce cooler air to the warmer cooking chamber it creates condensation on the hot meat. In effect its like spritzing the meat and that moisture helps to pick up more smoke flavor.

Not sure about any of the above just trying to make some sense of the process.

churrodog
10-29-2015, 07:34 AM
Just shooting in the dark here but since you are from Alabama it is possible he picked up this advice from someone that saw it happen locally. I would not be surprised to hear that a lot of the places cooking direct or semi-direct over open brick pit places like Bob Sykes, Golden Rule, Costas, Ken's, Rusty's, etc. need to flip often. Then again, they aren't opening a cooker to do it.

NickTheGreat
10-29-2015, 09:07 AM
I touch the meat twice. Once to put it on, and once to take it off.

itschris
10-29-2015, 09:55 AM
Isn't it funny that there's always someone available... who allows you full access to their "vast" knowledge.. to always explain to you how to do your BBQ?

We do charity Q's every quarter at my office. I work at a large brokerage company that has 4,000 people on our campus. At the last one... I had a gal come by and tell me "no, no no... you don't put no mustert on dat. Dat ruin it. I don't do none of dat."

Another guy told me after telling me I was doing things wrong that "... yeah.. I do this all the time in my slow cooker."

All you can do is smile and say thanks.

dsp2
10-29-2015, 11:02 AM
I don't flip the meat, I take it a step further and continually rotate my cooker. On my WSMs, I slowly roll them down the hill as I cook. This is the only way I know to keep the meat cooking evenly. To be honest, that's been a secret of mine, which I now share with you all to give a little back to this wonderful community.

Fwismoker
10-29-2015, 11:18 AM
I've flipped mine every minute through the whole cook before. Big flipping fan...HUGE flipping fan! :becky:

minAL
10-29-2015, 11:29 AM
That was my first thought churrodog. Bob Sykes came to mind.