PDA

View Full Version : Offset reverse flow turkey

brandenpro
10-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Wife asked me to smoke the turkey this year. I have only tried it once on my offset reverse flow and it was way over smoked (oak).

Thinking I will just do it on my kettle but wanted to know if/how you do it on a stick burner.

Richard_
10-10-2015, 09:40 PM
What temp did you cook at ?

Doog
10-10-2015, 09:40 PM
I'm wanting to try that with my offset. I will be watching the thread.

Richard_
10-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Turkey is a lot like chicken , cooking temp can make or break you !

brandenpro
10-11-2015, 12:54 AM
I don't remember the temp. It was 2 years ago. My smoker likes to run around 275 so it was probably around there.

SGH
10-11-2015, 01:06 AM
I run turkeys at 375 degrees for the duration on my Shirley reverse flow. I use nothing but oak wood. Turns out great in my opinion. I pull them when the thickest part of the breast reads 155 degrees. If you run higher than 325 degrees, you will be hard pressed to over smoke your turkey. The key is to be sure you are burning clean before you load the turkey.

SGH
10-11-2015, 08:37 AM
I also cook them in my reverse flow vertical cabinet the same way. 375 degrees over oak until the thickest part of the breasts hits 155 degrees. Works just the same as my offset. This vertical is a Pitmaker Vault.

brandenpro
10-14-2015, 12:23 AM
Great, I have plenty of Oak and I can push her up to 375 pretty easy. I'll give it a shot.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
10-14-2015, 12:28 AM
I have a standard offset. And when I do turkey I run around 275 and use apple.

Leftwngr
10-14-2015, 12:31 AM
SGH- That's the mother of all spatulas you got there.

SGH
10-14-2015, 12:42 AM
SGH- That's the mother of all spatulas you got there.

I found that at Walmart for $9.99. It was on sale in the garden center. My ole hands don't work so well anymore. Thought it would be handy for removing large cuts of meat from the smoker. It has worked great for this so far. It's real handy for pizza and Stromboli as well. It's been well worth the $9.99 to me.

itschris
10-14-2015, 06:44 AM
Ive tried my hand a Turkey a couple of times on my Offset. I used a combo of coals and apple\cherry chunks. First attempt at 250 didnt come out so good. The next time i ramped it up to 325ish and it came out significantly better. Im doing ine this thanksgiving so i think ill try a bit hotter. Im doing a pork roast as well so the temps and time may work out perfect.

Im assuming nothing wouldnt be different in a cabinet smoker correct?

Ag76
10-14-2015, 07:04 AM
As SGH pointed out, make sure you are burning clean before you add the turkey, and make sure the fire stays clean throughout the cook. You should have thin blue to clear smoke throughout the cook, otherwise, it will taste bitter and over-smoked. You do this by letting the fire have all the oxygen it wants by keeping the fire box door open. I too use almost entirely oak. My procedure:

1. Inject bird with Tony C's creole butter, sometimes with jalapeno, sometimes without.
2. Rub canola oil on skin.
3. Season inside and out with Tony C's Creole Seasoning.
4. Smoke at ~325 until it reaches 160 in breast.
5. Pull and rest.

The above produces killer turkey that is never over-smoked.

daninnewjersey
10-14-2015, 07:37 AM
Turkeys are pretty easy. I don't brine....just coat with olive oil, pepper, and K salt. I cook around 325 using oak. Just wait until you have the clear blue smoke before you put them in. They won't be over smokey...

va_connoisseur
10-14-2015, 07:51 AM
yep, its easy peasy. I've done a half dozen on my 250 reverse flow with no issue.

325, EVOO, salt, pepper, tent when skin gets to the desired color

SGH
10-14-2015, 07:52 AM
Im assuming nothing wouldnt be different in a cabinet smoker correct?

I'm not sure if the question is addressed to me or not, but I will gladly offer my thoughts for what they are worth. It depends on the offset and the cabinet in question. In my case, I have a reverse flow offset and a reverse flow cabinet. With that said, they cook nearly identical. I can mimic temps and techniques between the Vault and the big Shirley and it works out perfect. The sole exception being that the top shelf of the Vault is in the direct flow of the incoming flue gas. As such, if I want to mimic a cook from the Shirley in the Vault, I either use the lower 4 racks in the Vault or if I use the top rack I drop temp 25 degrees from what I ran on the Shirley. This has always worked perfect for me. There are both cabinets and offsets out there that are not reverse flow. So will all cabinets and offsets cook identical? No sir, they will not. But a reverse flow cabinet and a reverse flow offset cook pretty much the same. This is part of the reason why I chose Pitmaker and Shirley as my cabinet and offset. To be able to emulate cooks between the two and not have to change temps or techniques.

itschris
10-14-2015, 09:24 AM
I have a Stumps XL Baby and a Classic... neither of course are reverse flow. I think just putting the turkey in middle of the smoker will probably work best and I'll shoot for 350 with a little bit of apple wood. Do you think I should Spatchcock the turkey or just cook it whole. That's one thing I have yet to try with turkey.

Fwismoker
10-14-2015, 09:37 AM
I'll tell you spatchcocked turkeys are fantastic. Turkey like chicken can be cooked indirect and turn out just fine but benefits from high temps. Now if you have a choice between indirect and a kettle cook I'd go with the kettle.

Anytime you give the bird more of a direct heat cook it'll imo produce a much better product. This year I'm trying one on the spit over a wood split fire and I think one spatchcocked on the grate over the fire.

SGH
10-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Do you think I should Spatchcock the turkey or just cook it whole.

That's really a personal choice and depends on how you want to present the bird. It will taste the same either way. With that said, on the holidays my wife insists on a traditional bird so I leave it whole and cook it over oak on one of the reverse flows. For everyday cooks I prefer to spatchcock it and cook it raised direct on my large BGE. It cooks much faster this way. Everyone has their on opinions and preferred methods. With that said, when I cook them raised direct i feel that spatchcocking them allows them to cook a little more evenly over the direct heat. When cooking them indirect I see no difference at all between spatchcocked and whole birds. Just my thoughts my friend.

itschris
10-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Good to know... I'll report back on what I find when I end up doing it. I will say the best turkey I ever made was a monster of a bird on the Weber Rotis. I was able to move the coals just right to get legs caught up with the breast and the whole came out marvelous.