PDA

View Full Version : Figured I'd Post Some Smoker Pics Too

itschris
10-10-2015, 05:42 PM
I've just recently been back after a longer than I though hiatus. Not sure why, but days turned into weeks, weeks into months, month into years. Anyway... I've been back for a few weeks chiming in here and there but I figured I'd join the club and post some pics of some newer acquisitions. I started here years ago with my new Brinkmann Cimarron. I had no clue what I was doing and all you farkers helped me along and I've made some great Q over the years. Here's a shot from one of my very first smokes...

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo40/itschriss/BBQ/2ndQChuckie%20005_zpsxzvijwol.jpg

My good friend and I have been during charity cooks at our office for the last few years raising money for Wounded Warrior Project, Shriner's Hospital for Children, etc. We have over 4,000 people on our corporate campus so we have a pretty good audience. The events have become super popular and we do quite well for our selected charities. I recently decided to step up the game and figured I'd need to start looking for a new smoker. I then bought my first Stumps... an XL Baby which pretty much changed my world. Two months later... I got a Classic to go along with it. So now I've become the very guy I couldn't understand years ago when I joined here that had a house full of different grills and smokers. So anyway... I wanted to give a quick update since I'm back and trying to contribute again here and there instead of just sucking up the knowledge.

Here's a couple pic of Stumps smokers:

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo40/itschriss/BBQ/StumpsClassic-XLBaby2_zps5vurwoum.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo40/itschriss/BBQ/StumpsClassic_Chimney_zps1rkupnc2.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo40/itschriss/BBQ/StumpsClassic-XLBaby_zpsnuacf7kf.jpg

Titch
10-10-2015, 06:26 PM
very Nice
love your waterfall

Doog
10-10-2015, 06:26 PM
That is a pretty nice looking team you have!!
Thanks for sharing!

Decoy205
10-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Nice yard and cookers! Can you elaborate on your favorite things about the stumps?

itschris
10-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Nice yard and cookers! Can you elaborate on your favorite things about the stumps?

Sure. Coming from the offset which was very limiting because of the size, it's first and foremost just nice to have capacity in a footprint that's actually smaller than my Brinkmann. It's not just the ability to throw a ton of butts on but it's the fact that I can do a few butts and then later in the cook I can add ribs and later than that...chicken.

I looked at getting larger offsets but the bigger size and decreasing efficiency wasn't going to work. The coolest thing is that I can do two butts or twelve in xl baby for instance and nothing changes. The same small amount of charcoal is pretty much used unlike a much bigger offset which by nature just requires more fuel to heat and maintain by virtue of its size. I was looking at getting one the really big Yoders but then just realized how much work it'd be if I just wanted to do a couple racks of ribs for instance.

For me these cabinet style smokers just make smoking a bit more enjoyable now. They run super stable even when I don't use the Gurus. The last cook on the XL stayed at 225 for 11 hours with barely a touch of the valve. I did a couple or so butts after putting maybe 15 pounds in the shute. I still had enough fuel when I decided to make some ribs the next day.

Some say these don't yield good smoke flavor...I find that completely false. I will say that my bbq is noticeably up a few notches. Even my wife thought everything is much better. The Stumps doesn't use a water pan...which I'm happy about. The amount of moisture it holds will even steam my glasses when I open the door.

I can't speak about other cabinet style smokers but I do dig everything about these...the way they cook...the way they look...everything. I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have or give any other impressions on them.

pjtexas1
10-10-2015, 08:52 PM
glad to hear you are doing good things with bbq. i have several types of cookers and there is nothing like the ease of a gf or cabinet cooker. they just make everything almost idiot-proof. i also really enjoy stick burning...it's therapeutic. keep up the good work:thumb:

landarc
10-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Welocme back, those are some fine looking cookers

itschris
10-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys... I've come a long way and owe a lot to a lot of folks here over the years. My plan is to create a charitable foundation this year and begin expanding the charitable giving. I'll share more about that down the road.

Right now I'm just really diggin these new smokers and really liking bbq more than ever. Having such great equipment has allowed me to focus on other aspects of the session like prep and just the smaller details that make the difference between damn good Q and holy crap that's great bbq. With the extra capacity I've been doing a lot more side by side comparisons in a session by trying different things on say each of 6 racks of baby backs or butts. So in the same session with all things being equal I can try each rack and see the results from the same cook. I've already changed several things and stumbled upon some others that are new. It's been fun.

Big George's BBQ
10-10-2015, 10:08 PM
Glad you are back Love your toys What you are doing is really nice

Decoy205
10-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Sure. Coming from the offset which was very limiting because of the size, it's first and foremost just nice to have capacity in a footprint that's actually smaller than my Brinkmann. It's not just the ability to throw a ton of butts on but it's the fact that I can do a few butts and then later in the cook I can add ribs and later than that...chicken.

I looked at getting larger offsets but the bigger size and decreasing efficiency wasn't going to work. The coolest thing is that I can do two butts or twelve in xl baby for instance and nothing changes. The same small amount of charcoal is pretty much used unlike a much bigger offset which by nature just requires more fuel to heat and maintain by virtue of its size. I was looking at getting one the really big Yoders but then just realized how much work it'd be if I just wanted to do a couple racks of ribs for instance.

For me these cabinet style smokers just make smoking a bit more enjoyable now. They run super stable even when I don't use the Gurus. The last cook on the XL stayed at 225 for 11 hours with barely a touch of the valve. I did a couple or so butts after putting maybe 15 pounds in the shute. I still had enough fuel when I decided to make some ribs the next day.

Some say these don't yield good smoke flavor...I find that completely false. I will say that my bbq is noticeably up a few notches. Even my wife thought everything is much better. The Stumps doesn't use a water pan...which I'm happy about. The amount of moisture it holds will even steam my glasses when I open the door.

I can't speak about other cabinet style smokers but I do dig everything about these...the way they cook...the way they look...everything. I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have or give any other impressions on them.

Thanks for the write up! I always like to hear about products that people are impressed with and positive reviews. Sounds like a great set of smokers!

When I can eventually graduate to a "pro" smoker I would have to consider an insulated cabinet.

itschris
10-11-2015, 11:58 AM
When I got the XL Baby there was a part of me that saying "omg that's so much money." Then.. I turn around and get the Classic. That should be a clear indication of how great I think these Stumps smokers are.

But you know there are clones out there plus other really great makers out there. There just seems to be this $3k entry fee into this level of smokers. Then after that the variable cost to go to bigger models comes down. You get caught in that constant head game of "if I just spend a little more I can get X"

There's a lot of great options for cabinet smokers...Stumps was just on the top of my list and thankfully everything so far has validated that decision.