PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Cook

smokingmeats
10-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Found a 12.7 pd prime packer at Costco today. Plan on cooking it Sunday. Have done 4-5 whole packers before but have never separated the point and the flat. Consequently the flat comes out a little dry and the point is still a little fatty with not having the fat completely rendered. This time I plan to separate the point from the flat once the flat is done. I have never done this so I'm coming to you guys for help and tips....

landarc
10-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Personally, I think, judging by what you say, that you've been undercooking your briskets. I never separate flat from point, the flat stays more moist protected by the point through the cook. Are you certain you're cooking the brisket long enough?

smokingmeats
10-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Personally, I think, judging by what you say, that you've been undercooking your briskets. I never separate flat from point, the flat stays more moist protected by the point through the cook. Are you certain you're cooking the brisket long enough?

Can you explain "the flat stays more moist protected by the point through the cook?"

Im cooking on a 22.5 WSM.

landarc
10-10-2015, 09:27 AM
When the point and flat are connected, less surface area of the flat is exposed to direct heat. The point, being so fatty can withstand direct heat better, as the fat aids in keeping the meat moist. I cook in a UDS with the point down, this also prevents surface drying of the flat.

To be honest, some very good brisket cooks disagree, this is just my belief and experience

The B
10-10-2015, 09:51 AM
I also cook the point down. I also cook the brisket a little longer then when I think it probes well. I use these methods and got an 8th with choice meet and 9th with SRF in two KCBS comps (I've only done 3 comps total). An over done brisket is better then an under done brisket. My first brisket was the WORST! I didn't cook it long enough :puke:

Cliff H.
10-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Here is a choice brisket cooked last week on a WSM fat down and foil wrapped about 7 hours in. I am a big fan of keeping the point and flat together.

Pic taken with iPhone 4

bvbull200
10-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Great looking brisket, Cliff.

OP, as mentioned, keep in mind that an undercooked flat will be dry, too. In your past experiences, has the flat been dry and crumbly? Or has it been dry and tough? If dry and tough, it was undercooked and you could stand to leave both the flat and point on a little longer.

Hope you find your sweet spot. Good luck with the next cook.

pjtexas1
10-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Under cooked
Just because it can bend doesn't mean it's done. Tight but bendy. Same slice as above. Had to throw it back in the oven. :tsk: nobody's perfect.

Just about right

DetTigersFan
10-10-2015, 02:21 PM
When I do a brisket on my WSM I position the exhaust vent directly above the point also. My theory is there should be a little more heat concentrated in this area because that's where all the heat and smoke is flowing out at.

Bludawg
10-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Keep it together & cook it longer you're under cooking it.

Full Draw BBQ
10-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Cliff-----for all things holy and good, I wish I could get my brisket bark to look like that when I wrap in foil!!!!!!!!!!!!