PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal and flavor

steinyboys
10-10-2015, 01:41 AM
Hi ya all I have a question, I use a product called heats beads, an oval shaped charcoal very popular in Australia, I am told its similar to your kingsford stuff, When I cook for the family small cook I like to use my smokey joe great little cooker, BUT When I cook Hamburger of food that will render juice or fat, which is what you want I get huge amount of smoke and an intense charcoal flavor, I like it, but sadly the kids do not, is it just the way the joe works do I need a bigger pit to stop the juices? cooking indirect on the joe is difficult considering the small cooking space? I think I may have answered my question, indirect for rendered fat and cooking juices might be my best option looks like the joe will need a rest for a while,:doh::doh:

buccaneer
10-10-2015, 03:11 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164823

The fuel you use is fossil fuel(coal) powder reconstituted, the American ones are made of charcoal. That's why I strictly limit the use of heat beads for my family, maybe once a month.
HTH

Sevengoals
10-10-2015, 04:32 AM
Mate, find some hard wood lump charcoal.
Mallee root for example.
Much better for grilling.

If you do a search for it you get hits for suppliers in Melbourne and Sydney.
Even if you are somewhere else in Oz you will definitely find it.

Good luck.

steinyboys
10-10-2015, 04:49 AM
Ok guys thanks for the reply's are we saying heatbeads maybe harmful to my families health ?? Hope not, I do have lump charcoal not tried malle root yet, The funny thing is have been using heatbeads for so long have come to trust they way they cook, you know they will cook even, with lump I have found it can burn inconsistent due to the different sizes of it, but will give it a good go:bow::bow:

steinyboys
10-10-2015, 04:55 AM
Ok guys thanks for the reply's are we saying heatbeads maybe harmful to my families health ?? Hope not, I do have lump charcoal not tried malle root yet, The funny thing is have been using heatbeads for so long have come to trust they way they cook, you know they will cook even, with lump I have found it can burn inconsistent due to the different sizes of it, but will give it a good go:bow::bow:

landarc
10-10-2015, 10:31 AM
I don't know heat beads, but, in a small cooker, any charcoal will create that taste. It's the fat burning, you have to go indirect to avoid it. Larger cookers have more air flow.

Bludawg
10-10-2015, 03:56 PM
When I was kid you ate what got put on the table or went hungry I raised my the same way. If they don't like it feed 'em vegimite sandwiches and have an extra burger or buy a Gasser.

sylntghost
10-10-2015, 04:19 PM
When I was kid you ate what got put on the table or went hungry I raised my the same way. If they don't like it feed 'em vegimite sandwiches and have an extra burger or buy a Gasser.
I just pictured the men at work video in my head just now.lol

arclite
10-10-2015, 04:38 PM
I don't know heat beads, but, in a small cooker, any charcoal will create that taste. It's the fat burning, you have to go indirect to avoid it. Larger cookers have more air flow.

Agreed.

It helps to have a 2 zone fire in case of flare-ups.