PDA

View Full Version : Brisket...First one

Backnblack
10-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Ok... What do I need?
Have a BigJoe to cook it on....What is the low down on being a brisket newbie.

Ag76
10-09-2015, 08:40 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102415

landarc
10-09-2015, 08:41 AM
Most important is to be patient, cook it until it probes tender on the cooker. Don't judge by internal temperature.

Ron_L
10-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Take a look at the Basic Brisket Tutorial by Bigabyte (who?)...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

That head lays it all out pretty well. At a minimum you need a brisket :-D. I prefer whole packers that are at least 12 lbs, with 15 lbs or bigger being my sweet spot. You'll also need some sort of heat diffuser for the KJ. I'm sure that they make one but I don't know what it is called. In the BGE world it is called a platesetter. The purpose of that is to shield the meat from the direct heat.

I would run the KJ at 250-275, put the brisket fat cap down so the fat cap acts as insulation from any heat radiated from the heat shield, and as landarc said, cook until it is probe tender. Don't over think it :-D

Bludawg
10-09-2015, 08:53 AM
BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from the FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER> This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Backnblack
10-09-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the links and all the advice..

The Kamodo has ceramic diffuser plates already so I just need to do is pick up a Brisket and some butcher paper....

Pics to happen as well...

Ag76
10-09-2015, 09:36 AM
You can get butcher paper by the roll at Sam's if you have one there. Don't use butcher paper that is coated on one side.

pjtexas1
10-09-2015, 09:48 AM
get the bp as wide as possible. the one i have is only 18" wide and a pita to use even on a 10LB brisket. it will probably take another 3-4 years to use it all up before my cheap arse will let myself buy the bigger 30" roll.

bvbull200
10-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Give it your best shot based on the advice above and be sure you don't get discouraged if it isn't the best thing you've ever had.

This is your first brisket, not your last.

Dr. Trout Bum
10-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Follow Bludawg's instructions and you won't be disappointed.

NyteGTI
10-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Follow Bludawg's instructions and you won't be disappointed.

X2 I did 2 briskets before bludawg posted his tutorial and they were just meh. since folloiw the KISS brisket, I can't get enough!

Backnblack
10-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Got busy with honey-do projects and couldn't devote the time for the brisket....
Using the delay to read more of the links given....

mikemci
10-12-2015, 08:05 PM
They're better after aging in the fridge 3-4 weeks anyway. Looking forward to some pics. :pop2: