PDA

View Full Version : Technical or Emotional question

redrdr67
10-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Forgive me if it's a newbie question, but I did search on go*gle. I realize to get the right answer, you must ask the right question. Which I obviously failed at. I remember reading about it hear but could not find it.

That unique incredible smell half way through a low and slow cook. It's indescribable? What is it called and what is the science about it?

Mods, if it's been stickied, please let me know and delete this.

landarc
10-08-2015, 09:52 PM
There's several points in a cook that signal changes in the progress of the meat. I love that moment when caramelization starts. You get that sweet smell

SmittyJonz
10-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Beer Farts ?

pjtexas1
10-08-2015, 10:30 PM
My old offset had so many brisket cooks in it that anytime it got over 90 outside it had that smell.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
10-08-2015, 11:56 PM
My old offset had so many brisket cooks in it that anytime it got over 90 outside it had that smell.

Amen brother! I know exactly what you mean. I had to stop parking my truck so close to the pit. I would be hungry every time I was near it.

Decoy205
10-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Honestly half the reason I like to do this is the smells that come outta the cooker when the q is rockin. I learned I really like hickory and pork!

snapper-G
10-09-2015, 07:53 AM
A new cologne idea, eau de pit. I set up a chair next to my PBC, crack open a beer and enjoy the smoke

SPRfree
10-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Yup I leave my smoker running after I pull the food off just for the smell

Fwismoker
10-09-2015, 10:45 AM
I think it's funny neighbors walking by and saying how good everything smells ....and the meat isn't even on yet! :laugh:

htrisna
10-09-2015, 11:06 AM
The way my cookers smell, I'm knocking on wood that so far I have no mice issues with my cookers on the patio. My big LSG has a 2" fan coupler that is currently open since I took the fan off of it after the last cook. Mice can easily enter through there and have a gravy feast in my drip pans.

I even have a lid half snapped shut Home Depot bucket that I leave bbq trash and cold ashes in until its full. Still no mice or rats issues.

Knock on wood.

THoey1963
10-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Haniel, I leave my grease drain open with a bucket underneath. Your post is making me rethink that decision.

cowgirl
10-09-2015, 11:45 AM
I love the smell of wood smoke and the aroma of meat slow cooking. There's nothing better! :-D

DaveAlvarado
10-09-2015, 11:58 AM
If you only get that smell when you're halfway through a cook, you need to clean your cooker less.

Mine all smell like that if you open the door.

landarc
10-09-2015, 12:37 PM
To me, there is a difference in the smell, and I assure you, my cookers are not exceptionally clean. I can almost tell what stage I am in with a cook by aroma alone. I can smell when it's time to wrap, if a cook in not wrapped, I can tell when to probe. I can also tell when a fire is running hotter or colder than where I want it for the first two to three hours.

redrdr67
10-09-2015, 02:07 PM
To me, there is a difference in the smell, and I assure you, my cookers are not exceptionally clean. I can almost tell what stage I am in with a cook by aroma alone. I can smell when it's time to wrap, if a cook in not wrapped, I can tell when to probe. I can also tell when a fire is running hotter or colder than where I want it for the first two to three hours.

I keep mine pretty clean. It's small enough that it doesn't take too long.

I think landarc knows that scent I was referring to. Caramelization sounds like the right word.

Just wanted to know if there is an exact term for this process or transition.