PDA

View Full Version : Wood chips on backyard grill...

Kast Iron Carl
10-08-2015, 07:01 PM
I have an old claw hammer handle made from hickory. If I remove all traces of its finish, can I use it as a source of smoke on a charcoal grill? Is it okay to use dried out lemon or orange wood on a charcoal grill to add smoke? I asked about the hickory a long time ago but my computer died shortly thereafter and I never found an answer to my query. I live in the CA desert and fruit wood isn't exactly plentiful. Thanks in advance.

SGH
10-08-2015, 09:08 PM
As far as the hammer handle, i wouldnt use it. Some have been treated with coppertox and there is no way to remove all traces of it. It is pressure treated in. I cant say if yours has or has not, but i wouldnt risk it. Just my thoughts my friend.

landarc
10-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Agree with SGH, I tend to only use wood cut for cooking or firewood. Not tool handles and furniture, you just never know

luv2smoke
10-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Wow, if this isn't " desperate times call for desperate measures" personified in terms of the hammer handle I don't know what is?
As far as the orange and lemon wood that will be fine.

cholloway
10-09-2015, 01:46 AM
If you want to do a overnight brisket I have a broken axe handle you can have.:wink:

krex1010
10-09-2015, 06:28 AM
Man that's desperate, shoot me your address I send you a few chunks lol

Kast Iron Carl
10-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Wow, if this isn't " desperate times call for desperate measures" personified in terms of the hammer handle I don't know what is?
As far as the orange and lemon wood that will be fine.
:mad: I'm not desparate to burn tool handles. Why would you think that??:mad2: Why offer an idiotic opinion like that??? Do you know what curiosity is??? I appreciate the direct answer concerning the citrus wood, but I have no need nor desire for useless opinions. The same goes out to kreks1010!!:puke: