View Full Version : Does anyone know what this is?

10-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Trying to find out what this is. Several suggestions have been made but nothing really concrete.

10-08-2015, 09:52 AM
looks like a bra for an iron maiden :)

10-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Xena has been suggested as well! :-D

pigville porkers
10-08-2015, 10:14 AM
A giant tea infuser, or something Alton Brown would make you cook with on cut throat kitchen.

10-08-2015, 10:22 AM
How big is it and how big are the holes?

10-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Is it cast iron?

10-08-2015, 10:47 AM
It is cast iron. I only have a pic of the item. Looking at the background the squares on checkered table clothes like that are usually a couple of inches or so to a side, so that would show some scale for the size of it.

10-08-2015, 10:49 AM
It's a chestnut roaster

Q Junkie
10-08-2015, 10:56 AM
I was going to say a vegetable roaster or a shellfish roaster thingy.

10-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Nat King Cole - Chestnuts roasting on an open fire - YouTube

10-08-2015, 11:10 AM
I'd say its a Spetzel press or a Potato ricer.

10-08-2015, 11:16 AM

10-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Blu got me thinking spaetzle press but why would both sides have the holes? Gotta be something else...but what :noidea:

10-08-2015, 11:30 AM
High speed fly swatter. The holes decrease drag. ;)

10-08-2015, 11:36 AM
SWAG: A utensil for frying, but frying what, I don't know.

If it were for boiling, it likely wouldn't be cast iron due to its weight. Because it's cast iron, I say it's for deep frying. What I don't know is what might need to be encased like this when it's fried. Most things cooked in deep fat form a crust that holds the item together. What, when placed in deep fat, falls apart but needs to be kept together?

10-08-2015, 11:56 AM
I concur with OSD. It is definitely a chestnut roaster. No doubt about it. You can put this one to bed.

Joe Black
10-08-2015, 04:46 PM
I've never seen a chestnut roaster. Was wondering about a steamer of some kind, but I agree that I don't think it would be CI.

10-08-2015, 05:55 PM
I to would guess chestnut roaster, would be very helpful to know how long the handles are.

10-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Handle length means nothing on these. Same length as a frying pan. This type of roaster was made to set on the coals or on a cooking grate just above the fire. Usually these were used in a fireplace.
They were not the long-handled types that were held in the hand that did not have a cover. That type was mostly used outdoors around a fire, but sometimes in the fireplace.
I remember when I was a young kid(close to 60 yrs ago), my GrandMa had one of these and only used it around the Holidays.

10-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys!

10-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Yepper. For roasting your nuts. Therefore, the short handle. :shock:

10-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Speak for yourself.

It almost looks like it could be used to make pies too, if it weren't for the holes.

10-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Chia Cooker