PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to reseason?

qposner
10-07-2015, 09:35 PM
I've had a Lodge cast iron skillet for a year or so now. It came preseasoned. I have always cleaned with warm water and a dish brush, no soap. Anyhow, I just noticed the bottom of the skillet and a bit up the sides are much duller than the shiny black that is up higher on the sides. Do I need to reseason it? If so, how. Also, please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

bvbull200
10-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Do you do any seasoning after cleaning it? I doubt you need to do the "complete" seasoning process involving heat cycles and various applications of oil, but it wouldn't hurt to heat it up a little, brush some oil, then wipe off the excess after it cools down.

I do that after every cleaning anyways. The bottom isn't quite as deep a black as the sides, nor quite as glossy, but it looks good and, more importantly, cooks great.

qposner
10-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Do you do any seasoning after cleaning it? I doubt you need to do the "complete" seasoning process involving heat cycles and various applications of oil, but it wouldn't hurt to heat it up a little, brush some oil, then wipe off the excess after it cools down.

I do that after every cleaning anyways. The bottom isn't quite as deep a black as the sides, nor quite as glossy, but it looks good and, more importantly, cooks great.

Every now and again and I spray with with Pam after I clean it and put it away, but certainly not every time.

IamMadMan
10-07-2015, 09:52 PM
I reseason after every use when the pan is fairly new.

It may not need to be seasoned, but if in doubt it won't hurt..

Simply rub the pan with an oil with a higher smoke point, heat the pan until the oil begins to smoke, turn off the flame and let cool completely.

The heat causes the oil to chemically change and form a polymer coating on the pan. As the pan cools the new polymer coating will harden and fill the porous surface of the cast iron..

qposner
10-07-2015, 10:09 PM
I reseason after every use when the pan is fairly new.

It may not need to be seasoned, but if in doubt it won't hurt..

Simply rub the pan with an oil with a higher smoke point, heat the pan until the oil begins to smoke, turn off the flame and let cool completely.

The heat causes the oil to chemically change and form a polymer coating on the pan. As the pan cools the new polymer coating will harden and fill the porous surface of the cast iron..

Thanks. Coconut oil? Canola?

cholloway
10-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Flaxseed oil is the best. Sometimes found in the vitamin/supplement section.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
10-07-2015, 10:49 PM
My stuff is pretty old. And I still heat and oil after every use

qposner
10-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info everyone! Going to go do it now.