PDA

View Full Version : Question for landarc

Roguejim
10-07-2015, 12:31 PM
You posted a photo of a kettle set-up, the one with a heavy (cast iron?) pizza pan sitting on top of another cast iron pan that holds water. You also have foil balls holding up the pizza pan. In the photo, the pizza pan looks fairly shallow. Is it deep enough to hold all the grease from a large brisket or butt, without grease running over the edge? I figured it must be deeper than I can tell from the photo, or you wouldn't use it. Just checking. Thanks.

landarc
10-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Nope, the grease from a fatty brisket and certainly from a butt runs over. there is some mess that has to be cleaned up. I found that some of the grease burns when it hits the charcoal, some runs under the griddle and falls into the water (which was nice to find out). I used the griddle because that is what I had, and it adds even more thermal mass, I was playing with the idea of creating a more efficient cooking environment in a thin metal cooker by using all that cast iron

Roguejim
10-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Nope, the grease from a fatty brisket and certainly from a butt runs over. there is some mess that has to be cleaned up. I found that some of the grease burns when it hits the charcoal, some runs under the griddle and falls into the water (which was nice to find out). I used the griddle because that is what I had, and it adds even more thermal mass, I was playing with the idea of creating a more efficient cooking environment in a thin metal cooker by using all that cast iron

So, does it burn more efficiently with the cast iron? I guess there's no danger the grease could catch fire, or smother the coals?

landarc
10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Never had an issue, I mean, you're dealing with fire, there is always a chance things could go wrong