PDA

View Full Version : competition butts question

hogzillas
10-06-2015, 07:54 PM
For those that do them, do you get anything more out of a whole shoulder vs a boston butt other than more meat to work with to build a box like tubes, money muscle, etc?

SGH
10-08-2015, 04:46 AM
For those that do them, do you get anything more out of a whole shoulder vs a boston butt other than more meat

You get a slightly different flavor from the two. The picnic has a slightly (dare i say) "sweeter" taste when fresh (uncured). Dont mistake the taste of a fresh picnic on a whole shoulder for the ham like taste of picnics you find in the supermarket. These have usually been cured and have a "ham" like taste. For some of the best pulled pork in the world, try a whole shoulder and mix the two meats together. It is out of this world. A uncured/fresh picnic is very similar in taste to the Boston Butt. Again its slightly "sweeter" in my opinion. A cured picnic tastes like ham.

SGH
10-08-2015, 07:58 PM
For those that do them, do you get anything more out of a whole shoulder vs a boston butt other than more meat to work with to build a box like tubes, money muscle, etc?

After re reading your question, i may have responded wrong. Thus i will take another shot at it. As to tubes and money muscle, they come from the butt, not the picnic. However there is "cushion" meat in the picnic which is prized by many. For clarity, horns, tubes and the money muscle come from the Boston butt and cushion meat comes from the picnic. My apoligies for not addressing this in my previous response above.

Cayman1
10-09-2015, 08:54 AM
What is the best part of the picnic to pull?

SGH
10-09-2015, 09:04 AM
What is the best part of the picnic to pull?

You will probably get several different answers as individual tastes and preferences vary. But to me, the best muscle in a picnic is the triceps brachii.

ITBFQ
10-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Never seen the need to cook a shoulder for a comp. I can get everything I need from the turn in box from a couple of butts. I buy them at Sam's. I look at the weight first and then MM size and go from there.

hogzillas
10-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Thanks was just wondering if there's anything better about a whole to get out of that extra meat vs a large or 2 butts which is what I've been doing. Haven't got good at doing MM/tubes so mostly just do the pulled/chunks