PDA

View Full Version : Wild/black cherry

SincinnatiSmoke
10-06-2015, 03:54 PM
I ran on to some free wild/black cherry wood. It is still pretty green and wet on the outer edges. I've read people smoke with green fruit woods but the wild cherry isn't exactly a "fruit" wood. Its more of a hardwood used in furniture. How long would you say it should be seasoned and do you think it will season faster if I cut it into chunks now?

ButtBurner
10-06-2015, 03:58 PM
of course

the more air that can get to it, the faster it will dry out

I use that wood all the time, my favorite all around wood

SincinnatiSmoke
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
What are you thinking.....2-4 weeks in chunks? Just wondering how long to season. I burnt a small piece just to catch the overall aroma and it reminds me of sore throat spray, hehe. I hear its good stuff tho.

Q Junkie
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
OK, I will save you all the "oh that stuff is dangerous, send it to me" and just agree 100% with ButtBurner:thumb:

Q Junkie
10-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Based on your cooking equipment in the pic, I would say you could chunk up a split or two and "kiln dry" it in your oven for a few hrs on low just to get you going. I would chunk all of it and allow it to dry that way. It will dry way faster.

ButtBurner
10-06-2015, 05:45 PM
What are you thinking.....2-4 weeks in chunks? Just wondering how long to season. I burnt a small piece just to catch the overall aroma and it reminds me of sore throat spray, hehe. I hear its good stuff tho.

too many variables to predict when it will be ready

I think its gonna take more than a few weeks though

you can buy a cheap moisture meter for about $15 and see what the water content is

IamMadMan
10-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Dry it until the grain starts to form checks (cracks or opening)... more than four weeks..

Wild cherry belongs to the cherry family and it is a fruit wood. It produces much smaller fruits that the birds love. It will produce some great smoking wood when properly seasoned.

cliffcarter
10-06-2015, 06:13 PM
My black cherry is ready to use in about 8 weeks when split into chunks 3" long by 1" to 1 1/2" thick.

SincinnatiSmoke
10-06-2015, 06:37 PM
A guy in another forum is on the other side of the fence saying "why risk using a wood that has arsenic and cyanide in it"? I guess my answer is.....because its good and free :crazy:

cliffcarter
10-06-2015, 08:17 PM
A guy in another forum is on the other side of the fence saying "why risk using a wood that has arsenic and cyanide in it"? I guess my answer is.....because its good and free :crazy:

Been using it a long time with no ill effect, I don't know where that guy got his info but I think he's full of it. The leaves are dangerous if livestock eat them but using the wood for BBQ is not going to have any adverse effect.

Whippingwater
10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Chunk it up and if you can't wait just pop it in the microwave. I've used that method to dry cherry bowls that I turned. You don't have to be as cautious about drying too fast and cracking like a bowl.

BBQ Freak
10-06-2015, 08:56 PM
I always mix everything with Cherry just makes the food better , chunk it up and let it sit outside for a few weeks and it will be good to go .