PDA

View Full Version : New guy. First butt

IamJHam
10-06-2015, 02:52 PM
My names Jordan. I'm in Beaufort SC, orders for the Navy. Always grilled basic stuff. Then I started looking at stuff to smoke. And figured I'd try a pork butt. Just at 9 pounds. Used my cheap Walmart grill. Coal on one side. Separated with some aluminum foil. Used hickory and apple wood. Smoked for 6. Wrapped for another 3. Anyways. Turned out amazing. Now I've got the cooking fever. Lol.
Looking for a starter smoker that will last a few years and won't cost me an arm and a leg. Let me know. Thanks.

yakdung
10-06-2015, 02:55 PM
I highly recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain. Size will be determined by your needs. I own a 22in WSM, and rarely have used the bottom rack. Good luck on whatever you decide.

IamJHam
10-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Don't think I can do more than 1 at a time on my phone. Unless I'm just an idiot. Lol

ShencoSmoke
10-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Nice cook and welcome to the Brethren. Everyone's going to tell you to build a UDS, so I might as well get that over with. If you can find a used 55 gal. drum your looking at well under $100 to build one. If you have $200+ to spend look into a used WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain, new ones are $400), either way you don't have to spend big bucks to get started.

PatAttack
10-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Pork looks great!

A Weber Smoky Mountain is right up your alley and transports easily. 18.5" is $299 and 22.5" is $399.

Thank you for your Service!

IamJHam
10-06-2015, 03:01 PM
I highly recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain. Size will be determined by your needs. I own a 22in WSM, and rarely have used the bottom rack. Good luck on what ever you decide.

I looked at those a little bit. Been reading a lot on here. I might have to go to lowes and price them out.

IamJHam
10-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Nice cook and welcome to the Brethren. Everyone's going to tell you to build a UDS, so I might as well get that over with. If you can find a used 55 gal. drum your looking at well under $100 to build one. If you have $200+ to spend look into a used WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain, new ones are $400), either way you don't have to spend big bucks to get started.

I've been trying to find a good forum on what is needed to build one. You could probably steer me a little closer. I'm not really in a hurry. So looking out for a drum isn't an issue.

yakdung
10-06-2015, 03:09 PM
I looked at those a little bit. Been reading a lot on here. I might have to go to lowes and price them out.
When I was looking for one, they were nowhere to be found. I located a ACE Hardware that stocked them. I can tell you I had to pay window sticker price. My WSM is smoking a pork butt as I type this, and is being driven by a BBQ Guru DX2. I have a UDS, stick burner and a couple of komado style cookers. This is a set it and forget it configuration, and is what I wanted for long smokes without having to baby sit the flame.

IamJHam
10-06-2015, 03:15 PM
When I was looking for one, they were nowhere to be found. I located a ACE Hardware that stocked them. I can tell you I had to pay window sticker price. My WSM is smoking a pork butt as I type this, and is being driven by a BBQ Guru DX2. I have a UDS, stick burner and a couple of komado style cookers. This is a set it and forget it configuration, and is what I wanted for long smokes without having to baby sit the flame.

I don't mind tending the flame a little bit. But definitely don't want to a lot. Just had my first son, so little attention is better.

Bludawg
10-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Bravo Zulu

chuMP
10-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Great looking PP for a swabbie. Anyone suggest a kamado yet? Great versatility. My Vision Classic ran me about $500 at Sams Club. It does everything. Smoke, grill, and bake in one package. I built a heat deflector for it for about 25$. It's a little heavy, and may be a PITA when you PCS, but I think it's worth it. You can cook either hot and fast or low and slow.

scp
10-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Watch craigslist for a used weber smokey mountain. Got mine there...brand new 22.5 for $150. I missed a used one for $75. You just have to check every day and be prepared to move when one appears. You may have to weed thru some not so good deals.

IamJHam
10-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Great looking PP for a swabbie. Anyone suggest a kamado yet? Great versatility. My Vision Classic ran me about $500 at Sams Club. It does everything. Smoke, grill, and bake in one package. I built a heat deflector for it for about 25$. It's a little heavy, and may be a PITA when you PCS, but I think it's worth it. You can cook either hot and fast or low and slow.

Swabbie. Lol thanks man. I would love to build a UDS, still searching for a good video/forum on parts and what not.

IamJHam
10-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Watch craigslist for a used weber smokey mountain. Got mine there...brand new 22.5 for $150. I missed a used one for $75. You just have to check every day and be prepared to move when one appears. You may have to weed thru some not so good deals.

Been on the lookout for a week or two now. Like I said no hurry. Guess a lot of people like those Webers.

TexArlina BBQ
10-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Pit Barrel Cooker is another option for you. Still in the $299 range and it cooks great. Had mine for a few weeks now.

effinUker
10-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Swabbie. Lol thanks man. I would love to build a UDS, still searching for a good video/forum on parts and what not.

Here you go - the ultimate UDS thread. If you can't find the info you need in here, you ain't gonna find it.

www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

TexArlina BBQ
10-06-2015, 04:17 PM
A little different style of cooking but it churns out great results in minimal time

txags2011
10-06-2015, 04:18 PM
I've been trying to find a good forum on what is needed to build one. You could probably steer me a little closer. I'm not really in a hurry. So looking out for a drum isn't an issue.

Here's the gazillion page UDS thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

I built my drum with help from the above thread and used it for 6 years before i bought my LSG (which i've only had for 2 weeks!). Lots of know-how here, hope you enjoy.

Also, great lookin butt! Good luck with the bug... it only gets worse and there is no cure. :thumb:

T.R.
10-06-2015, 04:29 PM
That's a good lookin butt! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436 will tell everything you need to know about building a UDS, and then some. My 10 year old UDS is still going strong, although it now resides at my son's home in west Texas. Even though I now have other cookers that cost many times what I spent building that old UDS, I still miss it. Time to start lookin for a barrel!

T.R.
10-06-2015, 04:32 PM
I gotta learn to type faster! Lol

Schubox
10-06-2015, 04:33 PM
+1 for the WSM, sounds like an 18.5 would work well for you. I've had mine a little over a year and can't say enough good things about it.

oifmarine2003
10-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Real nice first effort for a Sailor! My bit would be the UDS but all options listed are solid. Let us know what you pick!

IamJHam
10-06-2015, 05:14 PM
I think I'm more leaning towards the UDS. I like the look of them. For now I'll just use my POS and look out for drums. Haha. Thanks guys.
Glad to be here

DetTigersFan
10-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Nice looking first butt there man... I've had a 22.5 WSM for about a year and a half now and I love it. Perfect starter smoker in my opinion. ACE Hardware is an authorized Weber dealer, not sure who else is, but I bought mine locally at an ACE.

Decoy205
10-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Great job on that pork! If you can find. Barrel a a UDS is a great option. If not then snag up a WSM. Welcome to the madness!

IamJHam
10-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Gonna be building a UDS. Buddy of mines gonna give me an unlined steel drum for free.

cowgirl
10-07-2015, 12:24 PM
The pork looks delicious, great job!
Also...Thank you for your service.