PDA

View Full Version : Oak or Apple (other?) for a brisket & pork cook?

Chuckabadger
10-06-2015, 11:27 AM
I'm loading up my Backwoods Party with a couple brisket and a couple pork butts for our Fleet Week party this weekend. I usually use oak for my brisket and apple for my pork. What should I do when I smoke both at the same time?!?

Thanks,
Chuck

txags2011
10-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Oak. Pork can party with anything.

Ron_L
10-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Got any hickory? Hickory is good on both beef and pork.

If not, just do a mix of oak and apple. It will be fine.

landarc
10-06-2015, 12:18 PM
I almost always mix apple and oak, or pecan and oak, but, you didn't mention pecan as an option, pecan and apple would work as well, as would pecan, oak and apple

IamJHam
10-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Both if thats all you have available.
I prefer hickory and apple.

txags2011
10-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Got any hickory? Hickory is good on both beef and pork.

If not, just do a mix of oak and apple. It will be fine.

I'll actually re-vote with Ron. Hickory is my personal favorite for both, I just assumed you meant one or both of the two you mentioned.

qman
10-06-2015, 01:26 PM
The oak and apple mix will work fine. My personal go to would be straight pecan if it was available.

bvbull200
10-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Given a blank slate, I'd go with pecan and cherry mixed or just pecan like qman mentioned.

With what you've got, though, I suppose a little oak with a good bit of apple wood. Personally, I'm not a big fan of oak, but I know it is in good favor with a lot of people.

Bludawg
10-06-2015, 04:29 PM
man up Mesquite:mrgreen:

landshark530
10-06-2015, 05:02 PM
I cooked a brisket and 2 butts a few weeks ago, used both oak and apple, turned out great.

If I had a hunk of hickory or mesquite I'd throw it in during the first 2 hours.

BB-Kuhn
10-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Doesn't really matter. I'd do half and half if you already have both. Pork is great with apple and still really good with oak, and oak is the popular choice for brisket but I made an amazing brisket last weekend with just apple. Does not really matter all that much, maybe a 5% flavor difference. But a mix would be really nice.

gun smoke
10-06-2015, 08:45 PM
last sat I had planned on using my stick burner for a 15 lbs. brisket but in the morning I felt lazy and put it in my egg the only wood I had that would fit was apple and it was to early to start my saw. it turned out great.... to be honest I forgot it was apple til now.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
10-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Hickory is king in my world. It's amazing with beef and the pig don't care!

OS
10-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Oak.

ChefJRD
10-06-2015, 10:21 PM
I would say 25% oak and 75% apple, due to the lighter flavor profile of apple. Plus, apple is my favorite so far, but I haven't had Pecan yet.

BBQ Freak
10-06-2015, 11:07 PM
I have apple , pecan , hickory , cherry and oak but it is all great . just experiment and keep a log of your cooks to reference in the future what you liked and what others thought .

SGH
10-07-2015, 12:34 AM
We all have different tastes and have our personal favorites. But with that said, you can never go wrong oak. Its about as a all around wood as it gets. Its the wood of choice for the Brisket Gods. Who are we to question the Gods:twitch:

krex1010
10-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Use what you got, i went the whole summer and didn't use oak or hickory one time and barely any apple, I just didn't have any. I used lots of beech and mulberry and everything turned out great.

Dr. Trout Bum
10-07-2015, 02:20 PM
I use pecan for both, but oak is pretty common for brisket and the butts will taste good with anything.

darkoozy
10-07-2015, 05:29 PM
hickory if smoking both

MisterChrister
10-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Any wood is good for smoking, as long as it's cherry! (a wise man once said).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

qman
10-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Any wood is good for smoking, as long as it's cherry! (a wise man once said).

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I have quoted that gentleman myself more than once.:thumb:

Chuckabadger
10-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!

I ended up using pecan for the whole cook. First time using pecan and it worked well. I think I prefer the oak for the beef though. I've tried a number of woods with my beef, and oak produces an amazing flavor. Can't find hickory around here for some reason. I live in the City and it can be hard to source good BBQ supplies.

Again, thanks for the advice!

RolandJT
10-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Doesn't really matter. I'd do half and half if you already have both. Pork is great with apple and still really good with oak, and oak is the popular choice for brisket but I made an amazing brisket last weekend with just apple. Does not really matter all that much, maybe a 5% flavor difference. But a mix would be really nice.

I have 2 apples and 2 maples in my yard. I set aside all trimmings and use them for smoking the next year. Apple works fine with pork and chicken as all will tell you.

Since my wood is free I use it for everything if I have enough. If i run out by fall, I buy hickory or pecan. When I do deer in the WSM I just use 2X as much apple as I would hickory or pecan--the smoke flavor will get there, you just have to use more wood. I would imagine beef is like deer or lamb that way--just use a larger amount if you have a milder wood.