PDA

View Full Version : school me: Pellet smokers

longhair75
10-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Good morning all.

My first pit was a super cheap char broil from Supertarget. It wasn't much but it got me started and I soon caught the bug. I upgraded to an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn stick burner, and I could not be happier with it.

That being said, many of you here use pellet smokers.

I have been reading, and I find some people that state that pellets from Treager are not always what they purport to be to be.

From here (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/116254/new-info-on-whats-in-traeger-pellets)

:
I live in Oregon about 15 minutes from Traeger offices so called them to get it straight from the horses mouth. Talked to a very nice rep Lisa. She did not know what the make up of the pellets was, and said that info only the pellet mill knows. hit.gif After some back and forth she said she would try and get me some info and took my #. I would have bet anyone 100 bucks that I never would hear back from her but today she called me and said she got a note from the mill with a breakdown of whats in the pellets.

The base wood if you are on the west coast is alder and the east coast is oak.

Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) with flavor oils no actual Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet

Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood
Maple 100% Maple wood
Alder on the west coast is 100% Alder on east coast 70% oak 30% Alder
Oak on the east coast is 100% Oak on the west coast 70% Alder 30% Oak
Is this commonly known?

longhair75
10-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Second question: What is used to bind the sawdust into pellet form? If it is some kind of glue, does it affect the taste of the food?

Yendor
10-06-2015, 10:24 AM
As far as the Traeger pellets and the fact that they are "flavored", that is commonly known. I don't use their pellets for that reason.

The binder that is used in the pellets actually come from the lignins that are in the wood. The high pressure of the pellet formation causes the sawdust to heat up and the result is the release of the lignins that bind the pellets together. So there is nothing unnatural about what is in the pellets unless it is added.

My preference for pellets is BBQr's Delight. They state very clearly that their base wood is oak with the flavor wood added in.

longhair75
10-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks. I just had this vision of cooking my food over Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue and the sweepings from a sawmill floor.

Ron_L
10-06-2015, 12:08 PM
As far as the Traeger pellets and the fact that they are "flavored", that is commonly known. I don't use their pellets for that reason.

The binder that is used in the pellets actually come from the lignins that are in the wood. The high pressure of the pellet formation causes the sawdust to heat up and the result is the release of the lignins that bind the pellets together. So there is nothing unnatural about what is in the pellets unless it is added.

My preference for pellets is BBQr's Delight. They state very clearly that their base wood is oak with the flavor wood added in.

This ^^^^^ Besides BBQer's Delight, cookinpellets.com, Bear Mountain and Lumberjack are all quality pellets. I used BBQer's Delight for a few years but have switched to cookinpellets.com mainly because they are close (Racine, WI) and we put together a group buy and picked them up and save a lot on shipping.

Thanks. I just had this vision of cooking my food over Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue and the sweepings from a sawmill floor.

I chuckled at this :-D. Unfortunately, there are guys who use heating pellets (made for pellet-based stoves to heat homes) that are exactly that. Whatever pellets you buy, make sure that they are food grade. The brands I mentioned above are all food grade. They are more expensive, but worth it.

shootitnsmokeit
10-06-2015, 07:58 PM
I have tried just about all the different brands trying to find what I like the best. What I found is lumberjack 100% hickory & pit boss hickory (sold at menards). I will say I have purchased some ama**n brand pellets and found out all they are is repackaged lumberjacks marked up.

captndan
10-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Lots of information and misinformation going around about wood pellets. Some realy goog reads at seriousbirders.com. Also Google 'what are food grade wood pellets'.