PDA

View Full Version : Beef Isn't For Dinner Anymore as Americans Devour Cheaper Pork

LMAJ
10-04-2015, 06:57 PM
I'll be happy filling the freezer with pork -

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-04/beef-isn-t-for-dinner-anymore-as-americans-devour-cheaper-pork

landarc
10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
I missed this memo, I need pork!

MisterChrister
10-04-2015, 07:11 PM
Interesting read. I like pork, but I LOVE beef and don't want to trade one for the other too often. I suppose when my father in law quits ranching and giving us a steer every year, I'll have to resort to rustling...

cheez59
10-04-2015, 07:22 PM
I like beef much better than pork. I just simply refuse to pay the rediculous prices they get for beef these days.

dadsr4
10-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Except for short ribs and burgers, I usually cook pork anyways. Unless I cook chicken.
Of course, there are all those does that keep on agitating the dogs just outside the dining room patio door, and the 12 gage is right to hand. Ethics, and game laws, are a bitch!

Diesel Dave
10-04-2015, 07:35 PM
There are numerous reasons to this situation. And we've discussed them before.

This year will be the first in history that more pork will be produced than beef in the U.S.

They're actually building a processing plant not to far from me that will do 10,000 hogs a day :shocked:

Fwismoker
10-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Someone needs to tell my butcher that pork prices have come down...Not sure he got the memo.

landarc
10-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Truth is, we in the USA have had the cheapest food of any industrialized nation when it comes to beef. And similarly for grain, pork and chicken. Even our fuel costs are lower than most other industrialized nations. I will continue to eat beef, but, honestly it hasn't been a major part of my diet for over a decade as I have tried to maintain my health.

California was the 4th largest producer of beef in the country, with the drought, that is certainly over. And that will affect the entire market.

Rusty Kettle
10-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Beef is way to expensive and is a rare treat when we do get it. I cooked very few briskets this year. I even seperated a flat and a point and cooked the point and saved the flat for a special occasion. I cooked it for when my grandmother was up from Florida. Good brisket but it's not worth the money anymore. Pork is cheap and so is chicken. They are staples in our house while beef is far from a staple. It's just not important for us to eat beef. Pork and chicken will do.

Just can't be spending beef prices. I always check the meat dept at walmart to see if their is a discounted one. They are rare but when you find a yellow tag deal it's usually $28 or so.

I get excited when I see yellow tags.

MartinM
10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
I keep getting more and more beef sales.

My freezer already has several pork shoulders in it. At least one pick nick and several chickens.... I'm shopping for beef....

Mostly shopping... The sales have been good... Select brisket 2.90 a lb... Chuck... 3.99.

It's like getting a treat.

landshark530
10-04-2015, 08:38 PM
I just split a whole steer with a couple of buddies. Grass fed and then given oats for 2 months to improve marbling.

1/4 was 191# hanging weight. Priced at 2.50 a lb was 477.50 then add 120.00 for processing/cryovac/labeling is just shy of $600 so a final cost of $3.14 a lb.

My take home was about 140-150 lbs of hamburger, roasts, steaks, etc, packed as I wanted.

It's worth it to talk to your local butcher and see who farms steers and sells locally. nothing better than grass fed porterhouse.

When I asked for their pork prices 1/2 pig ect it was 1.50 a pound. but now i'm out of freezer space.