PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Ham Chili...

Whitewookie
10-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Last week I was throwing together a pot of firehouse chili. Normally I put in some ground beef and some cubed up steak that is grilled rare.

This time I didn't have any steak handy and was poking around in the freezer. I found some pinto beans with ham and the ham bone that my wife had done the last time I smoked a ham.

I though what the hell, I substituted some of the chili beans with the pintos and finished stripping the ham bone. Got about a 1.25 lbs of ham off it. I used the ham in place of the steak and just followed the rest of my recipe as far as peppers and what-not.

I do believe it was the best chili I've ever made. A friend of mine said it was the best chili he'd ever eaten...

Any of you gentlemen ever do anything similar?

VR,
Harold

Smoke on Badger Mountain
10-04-2015, 01:35 PM
That sounds good. I have not tried that. But I do like pulled pork in my chili. I do that quite a bit.

Whitewookie
10-04-2015, 02:27 PM
I thought about doing that too, but there never seems to be any pulled pork leftovers...

I actually smoked another ham yesterday and intentionally saved some back for some chili. Gonna do a big pot of serious chili for our annual Halloween gathering, but it will probably be a little bit hotter....

VR,
Harold