PDA

View Full Version : Paper question

troy64
10-02-2015, 06:23 PM
With the exception of paper I smoked 2 briskets yesterday exactly as I always do. Temps, rub, choice cut packers, wood etc all the usual. Instead of foil I went with butcher paper and wrapped at 165-170dg. Started probing at 190-195 and took off at approx. 200 dg. I kept the briskets in the paper, wrapped in a towel and placed them in a cooler. Rest time was approx. 3.5 hours. DRY, DRY, DRY! The paper was saturated and the towels were damp. This was just a chance to try paper instead of foil before an upcoming comp this month. Does paper normally do this and if so what steps can prevent or at least minimize the loss of moisture? I even left slightly more fat during the prep. Feedback much appreciated.

IamMadMan
10-02-2015, 07:18 PM
I have used butcher paper, and have no problems.

Always cook until probe tender, not by temperature.

Without pictures we can't judge texture, but in my cooking experiences a dry brisket has always been undercooked. Overcooked brisket will crumble apart and will be unable to slice. Pictures would be a help in making a determination to help you..

Bludawg
10-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Dry in under cooked! Cook it to probe tender Temp don't mean a darn thing. Get rid of the towels and the coolercarry over cooking will kill ya, just pop it on a sheet pan and let it rest for 2 hrs .

troy64
10-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Well at least I now know it wasn't the paper. Probably undercooked on the smoker and then too much insulation kept it cooking in the cooler? I have pictures but those were prior to cutting into each brisket. When I saw how dry it was I just got ticked off and called it a night. Will definitely go with probe tender results next time and hold off on the cooler.

bam
10-02-2015, 10:03 PM
I go with undercooked also probe tender is what you are looking for. Temp is to let you know when to check for probe tender.

landarc
10-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Cooler wasn't the issue, if you pull a brisket undercooked, it generally remains undercooked. The cooler might have helped in marginal cases