PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good alternative

stu022488
10-02-2015, 01:16 PM
Good afternoon everyone! I fell in love with Blues Hog BBQ on a trip to Missouri a few years ago. Ever since I have been ordering it by the quart and getting it shipped to Buffalo. Recently I have gotten into slow cooking ribs, pulled pork and rotisserie chicken with the original and Tennessee Red. I absolutely love this stuff on everything. I also love expanding my horizons and am wondering if you guys would have any recommendations as to other BBQ sauces to try. I have tried searching the forums and have found Head Country to be a recommended sauce. Do you guys have any other recommendations? I am looking to pick up a pint or two of different sauces to try.

Also I just got a shipment of a gallon of Tennessee Red and Original Blues hog in today and filled up the Quart jars for the fridge. I am wondering if freezing the rest of the gallon would harm the sauce or compromise the integrity. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated

landarc
10-02-2015, 01:39 PM
Big Butz Original and Cranberry, the Cranberry is especially good on pork ribs

Bart's Blazin' Q, Original or Spicy, outstanding on pork and chicken, and unique in flavor from almost anything else on the market

Blue Smoke BBQ
10-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Eat BBQ, granny's and A Fine Swine are all very good

PatAttack
10-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Eat BBQ, granny's and A Fine Swine are all very good

I'd add Killer Hogs to that list.

landarc
10-02-2015, 02:14 PM
If you want something even more different, there is a dip sauce, comes from NC, I think, has a yellow label on a short neck pop bottle. And yes, I can't remember the name.

PatAttack
10-02-2015, 02:18 PM
If you want something even more different, there is a dip sauce, comes from NC, I think, has a yellow label on a short neck pop bottle. And yes, I can't remember the name.

Is it Carolina Treet?

http://www.carolinatreet.com/home.asp

Woody Butthrie
10-02-2015, 02:21 PM

Are you talking about Scott's?

http://www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com/

Although Carolina Treet fits the different category.

landarc
10-02-2015, 02:26 PM
I was talking about Scott's, but, that Carolina Treet is also unique and very old school

Hog1990
10-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Smoke This
Plowboys Sweet
House of Q Gold
A Fine Swine
Hav'n A BBQ

Head Country is always good...

stu022488
10-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Awesome suggestions! I am thinking about making some pulled pork for work and having a couple sauces on the side for those guys that just like to eat the pork and not put it on a sandwhich and these are all great suggestions I am gonna have to look into that Carolina Treet and Plowboys as I have seen those mentioned alot. Also gonna have some Tennessee Red on the side cannot forget that.

Any suggestions on freezing sauces?

LYU370
10-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Shack Attack! (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136085) And Holy Smokes BBQ out of GA. Available at the Atlanta BBQ Store.

Ron_L
10-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Spicewine Blue Collar! One of my favorite sweet sauces!

Also, the Swamp Boys sauces are similar to BH regular and Tennessee Red and excellent!

Gary Tomato
10-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Three Little Pigs Kansas City Competition BBQ Sauce Is my favorite next to Blues Hog. Swamp Boys Original (in yellow label) is similar in style to BH, I'm sure you'll like it.

Q Junkie
10-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Well, I will probably get some grief for this but I happened to try some Guy Fieri Carolina #6
on a pulled pork sandwich the other night.........and I liked it.:oops: There I said it, I liked it! It is not sweet (vinegar and pepper based) and do not know how "authentic" it is but it went well with the pp at the time. Also you can not go wrong just making some Shack Attack.

landarc
10-03-2015, 09:30 AM
I got some Melvins from PatAttack that was terrific on pork

qman
10-03-2015, 09:52 AM
Awesome suggestions! I am thinking about making some pulled pork for work and having a couple sauces on the side for those guys that just like to eat the pork and not put it on a sandwhich and these are all great suggestions I am gonna have to look into that Carolina Treet and Plowboys as I have seen those mentioned alot. Also gonna have some Tennessee Red on the side cannot forget that.

Any suggestions on freezing sauces?
Freezing the sauce is fine. No harm done.

stu022488
10-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Freezing the sauce is fine. No harm done.
[/B]

Awesome sorry for the later reply but thank you I will package and freeze today!

jhtitan
10-12-2015, 07:12 AM
After reading all this time about Blues Hog Sauce I finally got some. Pretty sad that I had to read about this great sauce from here when I live only 10 Min's from the base of operations.

Great stuff!!

Jon