PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Blackstone arrived

DBBQ
09-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Thanks to this forum, I had a blackstone 36" arrive today from target with that cheap sale.
PLan to season it tomorrow, and cook on it.

- Whats the best oil to season with?

- recommendation for a great first meal (anything but burgers or tacos tomorrow)

Thanks

16Adams
09-30-2015, 10:36 PM
I bought several pounds of cheap bacon and onions. I cleaned the griddle surface with a clean rag soaked with white vinegar and water. While heating the griddle I applied spray Pam, coconut oil and I think olive oil. Then I wiped it really well with a dry rag. Then I cooked the bacon and onions. Like three chopped onions and 2-3# of bacon. We ate all of it eventually. Our first cook was green chile cheeseburgers but have Cooked breakfasts, burgers dogs shrimp catfish all kinds of veggies. You'll get it. Short learning curve. Have fun

cowgirl
10-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Congratulations! They are a lot of fun and the clean up time is really nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook first!

landarc
10-01-2015, 06:40 PM
I have been told flax oil, but, since it is easier for me to get canola oil, and they are related, I use canola oil for the first two seasonings. Then whatever I use for cooking will add to it

DBBQ
10-01-2015, 06:50 PM
Seasoning it now, making pizzas tonight, so will likely only use the blackstone for the bacon on the pizza.

TheCougarGuy
10-01-2015, 07:46 PM
I have been told flax oil, but, since it is easier for me to get canola oil, and they are related, I use canola oil for the first two seasonings. Then whatever I use for cooking will add to it

I've never had much luck with flax seed oil. It always makes a sticky surface, even though I put it on extremely thin. I've had much better luck with canola oil.

DBBQ
10-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Ended up using coconut oil, and olive oil. Did 4 coats, and then cooked onions and bacon. It is like HDTV to when I got one years ago. thinking why did I not get this sooner. Thanks to the brethren..I got one now..

jacob
10-01-2015, 08:34 PM
I always liked peanut oil, but it's costly yet has always done well for me.

Kloogee
10-01-2015, 09:51 PM
In the below video, Blackstone recommends Flax oil. When I seasoned mine a couple years ago, I used Canola oil and it seems to have done well. Enjoy your new toy!