PDA

View Full Version : What are your opinions of Old Country offset smokers?

Deebo
09-29-2015, 09:57 PM
I'm doing some planning/brainstorming about purchasing an offset smoker next year sometime and am leaning towards an Old Country offset smoker. I'm looking to be in the $500 range so that would put the wrangler within reach. What are your thoughts on that unit?

Bludawg
09-29-2015, 10:22 PM
I came with in a cats whisker of getting one last spring but I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a New Trailmaster LE. You can't do better for the money.

jacob
09-30-2015, 07:51 AM
My younger Brother brought me this one. After he just couldn't figure it out. Told me to make use of it and just cook for him on occasion. I had never used this kind of cooker, granted it took some cleaning up and re-curing to get it back right. Being an over and under I didn't have a clue what to expect. Pleasantly surprised how I could maintain a constant temp. with little effort and no hot spots. I do use a heat blanket to keep the escaping heat a little longer. Every time he ask if I got it figured out, I just say not quite yet brother. Enough though I can cook your meats if you want. I kind of think that's why he brought it over to me anyway. You know what I don't mind at all.

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/03/10401803.jpg?is=640,640

SmittyJonz
09-30-2015, 08:27 AM
They are mid grade - better than Cheapos but not as Good as the quality pits but they are priced right in middle too. Wrangler is lil small for me - I like the Pecos and over n under.

SmittyJonz
09-30-2015, 08:36 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202034

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173974

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182649

Deebo
09-30-2015, 09:27 AM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202034

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173974

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182649

Thanks for the links! Some really good info there!

Joe Black
09-30-2015, 08:13 PM
I came with in a cats whisker of getting one last spring but I got a deal I couldn't refuse on a New Trailmaster LE. You can't do better for the money.

I looked very strong at the Wrangler and almost pulled the trigger before deciding to spend just a little more. I still think the OC is an excellent smoker in it's price range. They were sold by Academy sports, but I have read that they are no longer selling them.

Deebo
10-01-2015, 08:26 AM
I find it interesting that so far, two people in this thread were a hair away from pulling the trigger on one but ended up going another route. Is there something about OC smokers that makes people not want to actually purchase one when compared to other smokers around the same price point?

SmittyJonz
10-01-2015, 09:13 AM
One gotta a close out price on different one and other decided to spend More on a better brand. Old Country has QC issues. Some are sloppy some ain't. Best to look them over in person and pick best one. Still better than the Cheapos. Academy(s) around here still have plenty of Wranglers and Pecos. You will have to Step up to about $800 -$1000 if you wanna go better quality (buying New).

J-Rod
10-01-2015, 11:15 AM
For the money they look like great pits, and I prolly would've bought one myself had they been available in my area. Instead I went with an oklahoma joe as it was the only decent pit in my price range available to me. I didnt want to drop a grand plus on a higher end pit at this time.

That said I ended up welding it together upon assembly(it is bolted from the factory), which IMO made all the difference in the end. It prolly wasnt necessary, but I wanted it STRONG. I also added a baffle plate to even out the heat. It's a pretty darn good pit after the mods. The old country's are welded as opposed to bolt together, and for that price you can't beat that. While welding only took me an afternoon, it would've been nice to just bring er home and cook! In short I say go for it. You'll prolly wanna add a baffle plate in it to even out the heat, and remember these are not charcoal burners but STICK burners! In other words burn wood and you'll be a happy Q'er. :thumb:

Gatorfan
10-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Academy still sales the pecos but I have not been able to find the wrangler. Not sure if the wrangler is still being made.

Twisted T's Q
10-01-2015, 11:54 AM
I think you can still order the wrangler on line w/ free shipping also

sigep1967
10-01-2015, 03:06 PM
The Brazos is out of your price range but it is a great 1/4" thick pit!!!

Deebo
10-01-2015, 03:31 PM
The Brazos is out of your price range but it is a great 1/4" thick pit!!!

The Brazos is a beast but I think if I were going to step up to the $1k price range, I'd have to reconsider my options and I don't know that the Brazos would win out there. You would think that being a 600+ lb stick burner, there would be wheels at all four corners.

Joe Black
10-01-2015, 07:43 PM
I looked very strong at the Wrangler and almost pulled the trigger before deciding to spend just a little more. I still think the OC is an excellent smoker in it's price range. They were sold by Academy sports, but I have read that they are no longer selling them.

Yes, it is a good smoker in it's price range. I actually went bigger, thicker, and with all the necessary mods up front for a little over $1000.

Smitty and Deebo, The OC is good for a starter offset, but I was lucky enough to have a few $$ to spare for the custom.

Androkles
06-28-2016, 12:34 PM
Just dropped $899 on the Brazos model over at Academy. The floor display was all that was left in stock and my wife, God love her, told the sales associate she wasn't happy with the scratches. They knocked $100 off the price which essentially makes delivery free. I'll post some before and after pics once it arrives and throw a caliper on it to keep their 1/4" claim honest. For starters, some of the welds need paint, the wheel bolts are getting a makeover, and I'm relocating the thermometer penetration closer to the main grate. More to follow.

SmittyJonz
06-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Oh Ya.!

Androkles
06-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Delivery cost of the Brazos from Academy to my front door is $125

BillN
06-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Congrats.:thumb:

Androkles
07-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Thanks BillN!

Here's a Follow Up: the smoker arrived no worse off than I saw it on the showroom floor. If you're looking for fit and finish this one may not be your best choice. The cooking grates aren't square but do allow for both lids to close, for me that's good enough. A lot of the interior welds had no paint and weren't the best quality but again, they're functional and some 1300° engine paint took care of any bare steel. I burned it out using post oak. Wiped it clean then threw a fatty Boston Butt in there with a pan of water to season it. The pit takes a while to reach temp, which is expected for anything 1/4" but holds temp like a champ. She wouldn't get hotter than 475° though during the burnout, despite the occasional bonfire. I found an online pit calculator and according to it the pit surpasses the minimums for chamber volume (fire box volume, air intake, exhaust stack diameter/height) with one exception; intake from the fire box to the cooking chamber is 32 cu in vs calculated minimum 44 cu in. I'm thinking that is limiting the full air flow potential and requires some modification. Other than that the stack is centered at grate level, the baffle prevents hot spots next to the fire box, both the cooking chamber lid and fire box lid sealed, and the pork, despite the fact I hadn't originally intended to eat it, came out great! If you like to tinker this is a great base pit to mod. If not, I recommend stepping up to something with better fit and finish. This of course means a lot more $$$ unless you hit the Craigslist jackpot.