PDA

View Full Version : Tried something new at Camp

Larred
09-28-2015, 08:40 PM
I make my own Kraut(2800lbs Last Year), Needed to use it on the fire.

Half of a nice Tater, 1/2 Cup Kraut, 1 Green Onion Sausage(Raw), & a couple Ice Cubes. Wrapped in foil Cooked for 45 Min on Fire Came out really good, Looking for other ideas on using the kraut.

SDAR
09-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Nice! I like your kind of camping. :thumb:

gengle
09-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Nice looking kraut. Love the stuff! Not sure what I'd do with 2800 lbs of it. Lots of reubens? A year of New Years Day meals? I've used it in pork and/or rueben egg rolls. Hot dogs of course. :grin:

Definitely going to give your sausage packets a go! Looks like some yardbird in the twirly basket. Nice set-up!

landarc
09-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Nice, I love cooking with sauerkraut

Dweverett
09-28-2015, 09:26 PM
Like the setup. On the kraut, there was a pizza place in Lewiston ID that was known for having it on their signature pie. Might be something different for you to try. Actually wasn't bad. Going to be hard to do a pizza on the rotisserie though

Bebe
09-28-2015, 10:10 PM

.... Looking for other ideas on using the kraut.
you'll need awfully lots of bratwurst for that!!!

... from Dracula's country (trust me, is GOOD!)
http://www.romania-insider.com/recipe-from-romania-cabbage-a-la-cluj-varza-a-la-cluj/25046/
(you can skip the tomato paste - but definitely needs sour cream, like so:
Reteta de Varza a la Cluj - YouTube

Google "Varza a la Cluj", you'll get the idea...

midwestsmokeboy
09-28-2015, 11:45 PM
Nice set up. Have to try out your packets thanksfpr the tip.

Larred
09-29-2015, 04:09 AM
I sell most of the kraut. 2 Meat shops sell my kraut.

Doog
09-29-2015, 08:53 AM
They are some good looking cooks!

Bludawg
09-29-2015, 10:51 AM
2800#thats a lot of cabbage.:shock: I'd be wasted on me can't stand the stuff. But I do like me some sausage & taters

MizzoQ
09-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Like the setup. On the kraut, there was a pizza place in Lewiston ID that was known for having it on their signature pie. Might be something different for you to try. Actually wasn't bad. Going to be hard to do a pizza on the rotisserie though
^^^ THIS!

Love a kraut and kielbasa pizza! Throw some mashed potato on it and you're in business. I've been experimenting with pizzas like crazy on my Joe.

ebijack
09-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Take around 2+ lbs? ( I always just eyeball what I need) squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the kraut (water and hot grease do NOT mix!). Mix with, 3 beaten eggs, 1 - 2 bricks of softened cream cheese and approx. 1 cup Italian bread crumbs and 2 tbls of really good mustard relish. Scoop out mixture with a teaspoon, put into Italian bread crumbs and roll into balls. I let the kraut balls sit in the fridge for at least 1 hour or over night. Deep fry till golden brown at 350 deg. They do freeze great! if you can ever get any as left overs.

DiamondMarco
09-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Larred (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=68909),
As a fellow saurkraut maker I also make other things with my kraut in it. I can recommend a dish called bierocks (or beerocks in English,Google it). Basically a bread dough outside filled with kraut,sauteed onion and ground beef, with caraway ,pepper, and other spices of your choosing) When baked you end up with a serving of hot and savory goodness as a portable pocket bread. Easy to take with you for lunch. It's hard to eat just one! There are literally hundreds of recipes out there and they're all good. Enjoy ! And they freeze well.

Ron_L
09-29-2015, 01:35 PM

Half of a nice Tater, 1/2 Cup Kraut, 1 Green Onion Sausage(Raw), & a couple Ice Cubes. Wrapped in foil Cooked for 45 Min on Fire Came out really good, Looking for other ideas on using the kraut.

Fermented or pickled?

My grandmother used to make sweet and sour kraut to go along side kielbasa. Measurements are approximate :-D

4-5 strips of bacon, cut into 1/2" squares
approx 1/3 cup brown sugar
3-4 cups sour kraut.

Cook the bacon until done, drain off the bacon grease. Add in the kraut and some liquid (I use a quart jar or kraut and most of the juice). Add the brown sugar. Mix to dissolve the sugar and simmer until the liquid is mostly gone.

I usually add 1/4 cup brown sugar and taste, and add more if needed. I usually end up close to 1/3 cup.

Woody Butthrie
09-29-2015, 01:37 PM
You can take spring roll wrappers and roll them with kraut and ground beef, pork, etc.

Bebe
09-29-2015, 04:53 PM
I can recommend a dish called bierocks (or beerocks in English,Google it). Basically a bread dough outside filled with kraut,sauteed onion and ground beef, with caraway ,pepper, and other spices of your choosing)
aaah, that's how they're called!
There is Russian store by me, i never knew how they call them (i always ask for "stuffed buns", they know what i'm talking about)
They're very good indeed, sometimes i get 2-3 of them on my way to work - and, in the morning, they're piping hot!