PDA

View Full Version : Smoking large onions

Gulfbeachman
09-27-2015, 07:04 AM
Question:
What internal temps are ideal for smoking large, grapefruit sized onions?

I have started adding these to my cooks, when there is room. I first peel off the skins. I then cut the ends off so they sit on the grates and turn them over now and then, so they get caramelized.

Once cooked they can be added to dishes or eaten as is.

Also, are sweet onions better than other types?

Thank you for any suggestions.

chicagokp
09-27-2015, 07:51 AM
I've never paid attention to the onion internal temp. They are very nice with a few splashes of brandy and a knob of butter on top while cooking. If you are cutting off the end past the root stem you need a little foil dish or something under them. Roasted onions always smell fabulous while cooking!

Bludawg
09-27-2015, 08:04 AM
IDK I toss a few in my Firebox from time to time

Gulfbeachman
09-27-2015, 08:04 AM
I've never paid attention to the onion internal temp. They are very nice with a few splashes of brandy and a knob of butter on top while cooking. If you are cutting off the end past the root stem you need a little foil dish or something under them. Roasted onions always smell fabulous while cooking!

Great idea about adding butter and brandy. I suppose the foil would hold in the juices and keep the onions moist.

Yes, they sure smell great when cooking. At times, I smoke them on the top shelf and let them drip onto whatever I maybe smoking at the time.

Thanks for responding!

lankster35
09-27-2015, 10:32 AM
I core out the center of 1015 onions and then fill it full of butter and blue cheese. Set it in foil and give it all the smoke you want and then wrap it up tight until done to the tenderness you like. These are awesome....If you like Blue Cheese.

PaPaQ
09-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Use a sweet onion, peel and cut like you do, then core.

Stuff the core with butter.

Wrap in foil and cook until tender.

twatsonr1
09-27-2015, 01:29 PM
I always add butter and a cube of beef bullion to the cored out center.

sylntghost
09-27-2015, 01:48 PM
I always add butter and a cube of beef bullion to the cored out center.
This is what I do also.they sure are good

cheez59
09-27-2015, 03:58 PM
I take big sweet onions and cut them in 6 or 8 sections sort of like a bloomin onion. Don't cut all the way through. Then wrap in foil like a bowl. drizzle it with good olive oil and hit it with Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Leave the top open so it can take in the smoke. I've never checked IT so not sure what it would be. Just cook to your desired doneness. These are especially good over a baked potato. Oil and all. :wink:

Gulfbeachman
09-27-2015, 07:55 PM
I take big sweet onions and cut them in 6 or 8 sections sort of like a bloomin onion. Don't cut all the way through. Then wrap in foil like a bowl. drizzle it with good olive oil and hit it with Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. Leave the top open so it can take in the smoke. I've never checked IT so not sure what it would be. Just cook to your desired doneness. These are especially good over a baked potato. Oil and all. :wink:

These are great ideas cheez59.

I may need to use those Vidalia onions!

Thanks!

cats49er
09-28-2015, 06:16 PM
I like to take a good size onion peel then stick 2 or 3 tooth picks around the onion in a layer or circle .You should make multiple layers spaced about 1/2 to 3/8 inch apart.I then slice midway between the tooth picks to make roughly 1/2 inches with tooth picks holding them together.Then coat them with EVO ,apply a good heavy dose of hot sauce,and sprinkle with black pepper.Next smoke to desired tenderness.Most of the time I will add more hot sauce as it dries out on top of the onion.