PDA

View Full Version : Brisket Rotation ?????

Trailer Trash
09-24-2015, 09:47 PM
For what it's worth... I did a brisket a couple weeks ago pretty much Bludawgs method. Put the "point" towards the heat. It had a great probe tender at around 206° in the point (closer to the flat) but the flat was NOT and came in at 186°. I rotated the brisket around with the flat towards the heat. In 30 minutes it was probe tender and was around 206° and the point fell to 203°. The ENTIRE brisket was the best (I've) ever done. I've never seen this "rotate" mentioned. Is that just common sense or does that help anyone?

landarc
09-24-2015, 10:11 PM
Definitely worth noting Thanks

Papa Don
09-24-2015, 10:16 PM
The best ideas are the ones that work. Thanks for the thread.

Smokedawg86
09-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks, I'll have to try this as well.

Smoke on Badger Mountain
09-24-2015, 11:02 PM
It it"s a good idea it seems. What kind of cooker are you using? I us an offset for all of my briskets. If you were to look at the pit as the fire box were East and the far end of the chamber were West. I then put my briskets in North- South.

Trailer Trash
09-24-2015, 11:16 PM
I did this one on my "Good One - Marshall" and ran it like a stick burner. I did it with a start of lump charcoal but ran with pecan wood the whole cook with the back lid open about 6". Worked excellent. All nasty smoke went out the back lid and all good clean blue smoke went thru the cooker. I think even though the design has many differences to a standard stick burner, one would run into the same challenges.

Diesel Dave
09-25-2015, 03:29 AM
Very interesting, thanks

Headgear
09-25-2015, 05:39 AM
I am relieved to read this. I had the exact same experience a couple of months ago and I was shocked at how quickly the cool side of the meat caught up when rotated. I scratched my head and thought, this just can't be. I had just started trying to wrap with butcher paper instead of foil. I thought it must have been a fluke. I use a gravity unit and there was only a 12 degree difference from left to right but that was enough to do it. Weird, I would never have guessed. Glad I'm not alone.

JohnnyB
09-25-2015, 06:07 AM
Another trick for the arsenal. There should be a thread with things like this all listed. Just small helpful hints and tricks that make complete sense when someone tells you about them.